Big Texan - Amarillo

Who has been to Big Texan? For some reason, I’ve never been north of Dallas within the Texas borders. I’m not even sure what’s up there. But stories like this about the Big Texan do not make me want to travel there.

https://www.route66news.com/2019/09/11/arizona-woman-eats-two-72-ounce-steaks-in-an-hour-at-big-texan-in-amarillo/

1 Like

Nah. I’m down to about half of a nice ribeye these days.

1 Like

I have! It is a super kitchy place but I was there with a big group of friends and we had a great time - we even got a ride in the legendary bullhorn limo! None of my group tried the 72oz challenge, but we did watch one competitor fail miserably, which was free entertainment for the evening. The food in general was fine - I had a steak (T-bone or ribeye, I can’t remember) that was perfectly fine, and tried Mountain Oysters for the first time (a bit chewy but tasty enough).

One place I can recommend in Amarillo is the Coyote Bluff Café, where we enjoyed one of the best burgers I have ever had, along with some seriously delicious green chile cheese fries. I wouldn’t drive hours and hours for it, but it’s worth a short detour if you’re up that way.

2 Likes
1 Like

Up that way is where the Texas side of my family came from. San Angelo, Ballinger, Paint Rock. My grandfather was supposedly the oldest Ford dealer in Texas for a while.(before I was around)
There’s even a Voss, Texas which is my family name.
I have no desire to go back there these days.
:cowboy_hat_face:
:slight_smile:

1 Like

There is a big Voss family presence in Houston, Voss Road is a major thoroughfare with lots of excellent restaurants to choose from!

2 Likes
3 Likes

Emmylou Harris, been in love since the 70’s.

2 Likes
2 Likes

1976!

We were all so young and beautiful back then…

2 Likes

However, a longtime employee told me years ago the ones who can most easily accomplish it are not the big, beefy eaters, but the wiry ones.<<

Absolutely accurate! I’ve been acquainted with a number of these “wiry ones” and they can be scary around a dinner table.

2 Likes

They have large throats, no time for chewing.

3 Likes