Big British and Irish Breakfasts

@shrinkrap this is a neat thread.

1 Like

I’m on it!

OK, I just had to pass this link on - just so everyone can drool over the great Northern brekkie. Most are in Manchester’s city centre but a few out in the suburbs. And, no, I havent tried any - well, you don’t take a 30 minute tram journey into the city for breakfast.

7 Likes

Our latest Big Breakfast excursion

4 Likes

Black and white pudding New Jersey style.

8 Likes

Latest brekkie here:

10 Likes

Our latest outing saw breakfast for lunch for me (and a fish finger sandwich on sourdough bloomer for herself). It was at the Expo Lounge a few minutes drive away. The Lounge is a smallish national chain of bar and eatery. Although there’s very much the uniformity of decoration, furnishing and menu, all outlets have different names - something vaguely Mediterranean and definitely ending with “O”.

It opens for breakfast and serves a variety of breakfast dishes all day, accompanied from lunchtime till late evening closing by a selection of burgers, assorted “small plates” (which they insist on calling “tapas”) and the like. It’s reliably decent food.

Greed got the better of me and I ordered the Big Lounge Breakfast (1603 kcal at £13.95). What you get is three rashers of smoked back bacon, two Cumberland sausages, three hash browns, baked beans, tomato, thick slice of black pudding, mushrooms, two fried eggs and two slices of toasted sourdough.

Every picture tells a story:

9 Likes

It was immense. I really couldnt finish it.

6 Likes

Well done!

I’m waiting for May, so I can have a British breakfast or maybe kedgeree on my local pub’s patio. This is the nicer pub’s menu, in Canadian dollars. I wonder if the prices will be even higher in May, the way things are going.

1 Like

What are “Toe Rags”?
Inquiring minds…

1 Like

It’s an insult for an insignificant person, as well as, in this case, small fried salt cod bites

2 Likes

Yikes :flushed:
Something so tasty with a very unappetizing name.

1 Like

Good morning!

Alice’s Restaurant, where you can get anything you like in Sea Bright’s favorite breakfast restaurant.

8 Likes

Sainsbury is our normal supermarket for the weekly “big shop”. In recent times, a Bulgarian crew have set up a car valeting service in the car park. They need a bit of time. So, this week, I decided on a second breakfast in the supermarket cafe (I see I’ve not previously mentioned it on the thread). It’s decent enough quality and a bargain at £5.25. Two bacon rashers, two sausages, fried egg, mushrooms, baked beans, tomato, hash brown, slice of toast. And they’ve changed the coffee since last time - nicely strong but no longer bitter.

4 Likes

I’m currently flicking through a copy of “Mrs Beeton’s Cookery Book”, first published in1890 and possibly using at least some recipes from Beeton’s earlier work. My edition dates to the late 1940s or early 1950s. There’s a section on breakfast dishes which I thought I’d briefly share noting that some recipes, say for eggs are in the egg chapter.

But here’s list:

Bacon & macaroni
Bacon, toast & eggs
Beef, minced and poached eggs
Bloater fritters
Brain fritters
Cod’s roe, fried
Cold meat kedgeree
Croquettes of ham & rice
Fritters, savoury
Ham ramekins
Kidney toast
Kidneys & oysters
Mackerel grilled
Mutton & tomatoes

The book has a spelling issue. Can’t make it’s mind up whether it’s an omelet or the more currently common spelling of omelette. Makes me wonder if UK spelling changed at some point and the mention of “omelet” refers to an originally earlier recipe.

5 Likes

Mmmmmmmbloater fritters.

What are they?

1 Like

First find your bloaters. I’ve heard of them but can’t recall ever coming across them as such. But there are a type of smoked herring. When I was a child you could buy jars of bloater paste (like a soft pate) for sandwiches. I guess you could use the more commonly available kipper.

So, having got your fish, the recipe says you skin it and get the flesh off the bones in big pieces. You then make a batter, mix in some grated cheese, coat the bits of fish and fry. When its cooked sprinkle with “Krona pepper”. I had to Google that and think it’s cayenne.

4 Likes

I think I’m gonna pass on that one…

2 Likes

Might be preferable to the brain fritters? A great way to start the day. Or not.

3 Likes