Beware Nicholas Flamel--Paris

i’m sorry you had such a terrible experience, at my age I have a sense of approaching mortality and no patience for such behavior.

as a wine geek and someone who worked their way through college waiting tables, some of this behavior makes sense. As I’m sure you know, the purpose of the tasting ritual is not to ensure that you like the wine, rather it’s to make sure the wine is not corked and the person who ordered the wine, rather than everyone at the table, is asked to make that determination.

Any bottle of wine with a natural enclosure (cork), including champagne, can be corked. Were I pouring wine by the glass from a newly opened bottle of champagne I’d say something like “I just opened this, it should be delicious but would you mind giving it a taste”. So perhaps the champagne had just been opened.

what doesn’t make sense is that he tried to sell you on a different bottle, didn’t offer you both a taste and I’m surprised your dining companion didnt insist. And I wonder what became of that bottle, perhaps it’s something they offer by the glass? Or maybe it’s still in their fridge, waiting for the next American to order an out of stock wine :grinning:

Anyhow, I’m crossing Flemel off the list of places to try next we visit Paris.

Best,

1 Like

Hm, another nugget…I did not know that champagne could be corked! I really always thought (think I had been told this somewhere along the way) that as long as there were bubbles in the champagne that it need not be tasted! I’m not a huge fan of bubbly wines, but occasionally as an aperitif, I will have and enjoy a glass. Good to know that I should taste. Thanks @vinouspleasure!

1 Like

Agree.

you really need to find better dining conpanions :joy:

were the situation reversed in a good nyc restaurant with a friend from paris and the wait staff treated your friend like that, there’s no way you’d have let any of that happen. In fact, send me your friend’s email address and I’ll exchange bon mots with him :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Ha! I think my French compadre was totally flummoxed by the treatment that he was speechless. He had suggested the place, as he knew I would be interested in eating at the oldest restaurant in Paris. We were also both really interested in eating the langoustine bisque (me particularly since we don’t get the critters here, and I love them). But, alas, in addition to the bad service, the bisque was not good. To make up, though completely unnecessary, my dinner companion and his partner decided to host me for a real langoustine bisque that they spent all day making for me on my last night of the trip. The best sort of dining companion, I’d say, and an amazing langoustine bisque I got, along with Marais grapes that they grew in their little garden out back of their apartment:

For you @vinouspleasure, I include a picture of the excellent vermentino they served me with the bisque:

11 Likes

that looks lovely!

@ninkat The highest compliment a French person gives is an invitation into their home for a meal. And they never issue one unless they know that whatever they serve will be superb, be it a sandwich or banquet. Kudos to you and them.

Merci to you both! I do treasure my invitations to eat in my friends’ homes. And this meal was, yes, particularly splendid. I also enjoy cooking for my friends, but in my case, I hope only that it is edible! I leave “superb” to others, and this couple definitely fits that category.

1 Like