‘Best sandwich in the world!’ Nine rolls, hoagies and sarnies worth crossing...

That doesn’t look like any lobster roll I’ve ever seen. Of course, I’ve never seen a lobster roll in the UK and I live in New England so I’ve seen plenty here.

1 Like

Agreed, but this is all about people speaking to sandwiches they’ve encountered, it seems, mostly locally that they enjoy (three respondents seem to be writing about sandwiches they make at home. The cheesesteak person must be getting her sandwich from a food truck that caters to drunken college students. I will presume that Lizzie from York has never had a New England or Maryland style roast beef sandwich.) But, to this New Englander, that is a lobster sub, not a lobster roll. Now, I could get behind that crab and chip buttie…

My favorite sandwich is made in Winslow, Maine at Big G’s. It is lavash covered in melted Swiss, crispy bacon, and seafood salad. Goes by SeaPig on the menu. It was about the size of a chonky infant’s thigh. Good college memory!

4 Likes

I guess I’ve never had a truly outstanding sandwich. For me, oftentimes the “best sandwich in the world” is the one I happen to be eating at the moment. In generic terms, IMO it’s hard to beat a good BLT.

6 Likes

Very true! And thanks for the tip on that SeaPig sandwich; I’ve made a note on that.

2 Likes

My favourite over the top lobster roll is at Au Pied de Cochon in Montreal. On challah, made with Gaspé lobster that arrives daily by truck in the summer, topped with foie gras and yuzu drizzle :joy:

I also like the traditional hot lobster rolls and cold lobster rolls of New England and the Maritimes.

The crab and chip butty is calling my name. No good crab where I live in landlocked Ontario. Crab is one of the things I seek out when I’m on the coast or in England.

1 Like

I remember a LLLOOONNNGGGG thread on Chowhound on Philly Cheesesteaks vs. DC/Baltimore Steak and Cheese and there was a very interesting series of posts about the history of each and the various permutations of each. But the consensus seemed to be that they were two very different sandwiches and that the main, crucial, all encompassing difference was that the Steak and Cheese usually had lettuce, tomato and a smear of mayo while the Philly Cheesesteak had none of them.
So when I saw a woman from Richmond say that lettuce tomato and mayo are acceptable on a Cheesesteak I just nodded my head and noted that she was a Philly Cheesesteak apostate from south of the Mason Dixon Line. LOL!!
Seriously, I do not think the article really tried to find “THE BEST SANDWICHES”, it was relating about how different people see what the best sandwich is differently and that is a good thing. Which I agree with.

5 Likes

I was born&raised in the Philadelphia area . . . been eating hoagies, grinders and cheese steaks since I was , , , well , , , really little.

places like Subway - I order a tuna sub - because it’s good and because their idea of an Italian sub is just not worth buying . . .
our favorite for a Philadelphia style hoagie is Jersey Mike’s. might not be exact, but their Italian is really darn good, , , and I’m sure someone will say they’re terrible - so there is that…

the same thing is different in different places. most absurd example I’ve come across:
Warsaw, Indiana - menu offered a Philadelphia Cheese Steak.
served as: a grilled hamburger roll with a petite steak and a slice of American cheese.
say whot?..

traveled in Europe a lot on business. made a point of taste testing McDonald Big Mac from Sweden to Italy. they all tasted different - they are all adapted to local tastes.

5 Likes

I don’t often order from McD’s or other multinational fast food chains while traveling, but I like taking a look at their menus. They usually have some regional things.

I like trying the local fast food competition if I’m looking for a bite.

2 Likes

I go to a McD’s overseas every once in a while, it is kind of interesting to see the differences. I kind of laughed the first time I went to one in Indonesia. The menu was quite clear that this was a BEEF BURGER not a hamburger. LOL!
More power to them.

Here in the states I think McD’s only has the one sandwich, the base level hamburger, that actually has ham in the name. My favorite sandwich at McD’s remains the relatively simple McDouble. A nice modest sized sandwich instead of a calorie bomb.

3 Likes

When I get McD’s, if it isn’t a limited time offer, I usually get a Quarter Pounder with cheese, and occasionally a Filet O’Fish.

I had been getting a Bacon and Egg McMuffin or Grilled Cheese at a McCafé fairly frequently when I used to take the train 2 times a week, up until 2020.

I think I’ve only had 3 Egg McMuffins since then, usually on the road between Toronto and Ottawa! That’s travelling, right? Exciting times.

1 Like

Not to rub it in, but here is my “fast food” from last week, in Belize. The lobster was fairly good but the best dish was a lot less photogenic. The Stewed Chicken in Belize is OUTSTANDING! And cheap. And fast! LOL!

The stew chicken was a locals dish, served from a window. I think it cost a whopping $5US.

7 Likes

Lol- even if it’s quick food, I don’t consider lobster in Belize Fast Food.

Fast Food has to have that corporate chain feel for me. Indie Mom & Pops , Indie Street food and Indie Fish Shack food aren’t Fast Food for me, even if quick and cheap.

We have quick and cheap hole in the wall food a little like that in Toronto’s more Bohemian or ethnic neighborhoods, like this one, Kensington Market

2 Likes

I have to admit that one of the things I miss the most about living on the East Coast is the food options. The post ElsieDee started this thread with is a good one for reminding me of all the places I wanted to go back to (or to visit for the first time) and did not take the time to do so. I could spend a week in Philadelphia just eating sandwiches and I haven’t been there since 2015 or so. I would love to do a taste test at Johns, Gino’s and Pat’s with the Cheesesteaks and then the roast pork at John’s…
Same with Boston, I breezed through there last month and should have spent much more time there, not just for the sandwiches but for the seafood as well. I loved the Italian at Monica’s and I should have went back and tried a different sandwich there as well.
And maybe get a lobster roll in Northumberland! Another great reason to visit the UK!

2 Likes

I regret that I didn’t know about the roast pork sandwiches in Philly until the past 4 years. I haven’t been to downtown Philadelphia since 1998.

I haven’t been across the border since my trip to DC in Oct 2019. I regret not posting that trip report on HO.

3 Likes

Had my first Jersey Mike’s Italian sub a couple of months ago. It was surprisingly good.

1 Like

I like your take. All this mess, and BLT is about as perfect as you get. You can make it as fancy or cheap as you like, and it always seems to work.

Couldn’t believe hot Italian beef wasn’t on there, but the source is relatively weak. I adore HIBs immensely, though.

1 Like

When I lived in Philly, I would go to John’s Roast Pork, way east by the Delaware River.
The caveat is that whenever I went, they would be closed (even after calling). To make things worse, it was right next to (or was it across from) a paper mill, so the neighborhood aroma was more sulfurous than tempting roast pork sandwich.

Finally, on the third try, I dug in; it was well worth the trek. Apparently, they also do cheesesteaks justice.

Overall, I’ve had some very good sandwiches in Philadelphia. But best sandwiches? That requires me to get into Rodin statue phase.

2 Likes

Paesano’s on 9th street.

2 Likes

Right now I am eating a thick cut fried bologna sandwich with onion and mustard. It is pretty damn up there on my list!

2 Likes

I am jealous of the widespread availability of great hoagie rolls available in the Philly area, and I am pretty sure that includes much of NJ as well. Life isn’t fair.

3 Likes