Best museum food in NYC...

Wow, Gary Soup - that’s a name out of the past! I’ve actually never been to the Rubin Museum and really should go, since I like Tibetan paintings. Did you pay a big premium for eating at a museum?

I don’t recall what I paid for the momo platter but I don’t recall feeling ripped off. When did you move to NY?

Museum dining will most often cost more than a typical restaurant meal…

Never. I was born in Manhattan. I moved back from living near my grad school at Stony Brook in 1992, but that had never been a full or permanent move, as I visited my parents who lived on the Upper West Side every few weeks.

Which is why I asked.

http://rubinmuseum.org/page/cafe-serai-menu

Menu looks decent.

(Face palm!) I had you confused with a poster named Pane who used to post of the SF Chowhound board and disappeared.

Now I remember interacting with you on the NY and Outer Borough CH boards. I used to go back east yearly but haven’t been since my mother died in 2010, though my daughter in LIC begs me to visit.

My cousin Dottie was one of the first Alumnae of “Phony Brook” as she like to call it (Class of 1963, I think).

Sorry for your loss. My mother died in 2010, too, and my father the following year. I got my Masters at Stony Brook in 1991 and my Doctorate in 1994.

It was a beautiful day in Manhattan on Sunday, so we decided to re-visit Met Breuer for the Marsden Hartley, Maine Exhibit. We love visiting Maine each year. Anyway, while there we stopped downstairs for a snack at Flora Bar & Coffee/Café and shared a wonderful fresh made Chicken Salad Sandwich on a tasty small baguette and followed with a Chocolate Chip Cookie, also very good. I do appreciate the free iced water container and cups as well, if you do not want to purchase one of their wines or coffees.
There is outdoor seating now, weather permitting…

1 Like

Since the season is kicking off, thought I’d post a couple of pics from our trip last weekend.

This visit was MOMA for the Rauschenberg retrospective (worth it! Go!), the Met as always, and the Guggenheim.

Our philosophy is to spend the better part of a day at each and therefore we don’t care to spill out for meals. Here is the curry chicken salad at the MOMA second floor cafe. Tasty enough and a generous portion, which was nice because we like to pick up a nosh at Zabar’s for dinner. Expensive, sure, but the cafe was pretty, with a lovely view of the urbanscape. Service nice. We got up early, ate a light breakfast and hit the cafe at 11:30 = no line.

Petrie Court at the Met. Yes, the food is not great. But it is pretty and I have always found the service to be pleasant. Companion had lasagna because she was starved. It was hearty and she said ‘more than acceptable.’ I had a chicken club which was tasty but the bread was tough. The green pea guac was really tasty - I’m going to try to recreate it. Perhaps the ticket is to order an app and dessert because why not?

As an aside, we stayed on the UWS and what has happened to the food? Granted we were too pooped to search out well reviewed cafes, so us bad. But wowza, a couple of meals were train-station stuff. ‘Rosemary fries’ turned out to have a sprinkling of parsley. Was told the rosemary was ‘in the salt.’ The salt had not been informed that it had a room-mate. Returned a gruyere omelet because the cheese was a tasteless mozzarella. Informed that it was gruyere but ‘we can only source pasteurized cheese in the US, therefore it is tasteless.’ I threw up my hands and asked for more toast.
Next trip will take HO advice and pay a little more attention to chasing down better food. But seriously, what has happened to the UWS? I read the thread that referred to a Food Desert but I guess I thought that was hyperbole. Am including these comments because the random food fails made the museum meals seem really pretty good!

1 Like

Thanks for the museum food update! I was just at the Whitney and we didn’t want a meal but needed a late afternoon snack and had their well known chocolate chip cookie which is fantastic.
The UWS is tricky for food- depends where you are exactly on the UWS (closer to lincoln center vs closer to the 90s) but there are some good spots, you just have to known where they are…

Hi Ttrockwood. We stay at 79th and Amsterdam. Two strikeouts on Amsterdam, two pretty much ok on Columbus, Cilantro and Lokal. Basic decent food, basic decent service. Ok!

Yup, next time. . .

That immediate area is definitely awkward. Nearby Motorino is great for pizza, more of a take and go spot or quick dinner.
Bustan isn’t far and makes some great middle eastern food, great fat fresh pitas.
The ribbon on 72nd is new, from the owners of blue ribbon restaurants so there’s a mix of their greatest hits as well as new dishes on the menu.

Thanks for the suggestions, will check them out next trip, hoping in August.

Visited the Wednesday Greenmarket at NYBG this morning and I was pleased to see it has expanded. Could be under new management, but the purveyors were all new and interesting. Shared a chocolate croissant from the Wave Hill Artisanal Bakery out of Norwalk, CT. and it was delicious. There is added seating and a new burger & fries food truck…

Heard from a recent visitor that Russ & Daughters at the Jewish Museum will now feed you on Saturdays if you make arrangements in advance. A way around Sabbath restrictions…

2 Likes