Best Hot Dog for BBQ 7/4

This looks like a good place for a link:

1 Like

Couldn’t read it & I haven’t had a dirty water dog in over 50 years, but from 16 - 22 years old it was a food staple for me. The onions man those were the best. Probably rat feces that gave it “flavor “
Store bought never tasted the same.

1 Like

His cooking was tasty, maybe not extreme. The witty menu and duck fat fries were outstanding:

3 Likes

For me it’s 1 Nathan’s tied with Papaya King bonus for Nathan’s FF & Papaya Kings drinks.
2 Pinks Chili dog.
That hot dog joint near Ft Lee that makes ripper style dogs
Any kosher deli in NY or LA
Every other place.

2 Likes

Rutt’s Hut?
On my list if I ever make East of the Mississippi again.

1 Like

That’s the place :+1:
Great dog but I originally posted for best dog for my backyard bbq & it’s morphed into an interesting but irrelevant thread but it’s interesting.

My first experience with true hot dog heaven was when we visited Atlantic City and the boardwalk.
Saw Help in a theatre there after visiting NYC and the World’s Fair and had grilled dogs From a stand.
One of the highlights of my 12 year old life.

3 Likes

I already no I am going to be pleased with these . Made by a master sausage maker . Taught by his father from Bavaria .I have had many other kinds of his sausages. They are all fabulous. Just grilled one of these bad boys . Holy cow. The best hot dog I have ever had .

5 Likes

I’m a fan of Pulaski meats (Linden) beef/pork natural casing. 5/lb

4 Likes

Sounds like you were brought up right.
Worlds Fair one of my greatest childhood memories as I snuck in every day it ran in the months of July & August. Belgian Waffles were my food awakening experience there.

1 Like

If we’re talking “ sausages “ instead of Hot Dogs my go to is “ homemade “ from Livotti’s
Probably not as good as yours but it’s my current favorite.

3 Likes

Thought I would link a similar thread from a NY Giants forum as many suggestions are local.
You will probably be able to guess my suggestion.

1 Like

If someone thinks Sabrett is a quality dog please don’t invite me over.
Hoffmans is a new entry in this discussion but not interested in expanding my reach except for Best’s seems to have quite the fan base here. Thanks for your input.

1 Like

My favorites available online

https://www.brooklynhotdogcompany.com/ Especially because they have half the amount of sodium than most brands. I like the beef and pork and the beef

If you are near Middletown, Sabatos in the junction brings in some of their stuff. Hot dogs/basa/etc.

One of my favorites as well. The ones you have pictured have that great slightly smoky taste.

2 Likes

Yeah there ok but it’s up to individuals taste.& since I am in Coney Island almost on a monthly basis I am always suspicious of that type of branding. Nothing like a grilled Nathan’s dog & FF on Surf Avenue Brooklyn NY .
Everything else proclaiming to be like

1 Like

Yes I’m in Fair Haven. The Foodtown in Red Bank also carries a bunch of Pulaski products. I like going to the Linden store when I am back in the area (grew up there). Usually pick up some Lithuanian bakery rye bread too

2 Likes

I’m also in South OC and I once found these bargain brand natural casing hot dogs in a local super market ( I forget if it was Pavilions or Smart & Final):

I’m not an expert hot dog connoisseur, but at least they did have a bigger snap to them. Outside of these, no natural casing hot dogs to be found.

1 Like

Terrible news
After 90 years of serving up savory hot dogs and fresh tropical fruit drinks, the Big Apple’s last Papaya King is now facing a permanent exile.

Developer Extell – which built Central Park Tower in “Billionaire’s Row” and other apartment and office complexes throughout the Big Apple – wants to raze a low-rise Upper East Side building that Papaya King has called its flagship home since opening in 1932.

An Extell subsidiary purchased the property last December for $21 million, records show.

The company’s filed paperwork to demolish Papaya King, and the rest of the building at East 86th St. and 3rd Ave, with the city’s Buildings Department Tuesday.

Extell declined to reveal its plans for the site, but Papaya King customers said they felt sick to their stomachs after learning their beloved fast-food chain’s days might be numbered.

“It’d be sad to see it go,” said Jeannette Salano, 63, of the Bronx, whose been eating at Papaya King since she was child.

“People love this place. It’s better than Nathan’s, and definitely better than a street dog.”

It’s difficult for independent quick serve budget food operator to depend on the commercial real estate market for profitable bricks and mortar locations. Hence the Umbrella Room business model. We just checked quickly into the King’s former partner Gray, and it appears to have been on a similar trajectory.

1 Like