Best "fancy" restaurant in Monmouth county, nj

Was the owner in jeans and a sports coat working the floor? Did he offer to upgrade to a premium sound system you purchased the extended warranty? (that was honestly my impression was more used car salesman than restaurateur.)

I will side with the waiter on the filet mignon issue though, always better to under than over cook any steak. Once you get into medium well on a filet you are pretty much destroying the steak so I can completely understand. The service was certainly good on each of my visits.

Just out of curiosity, there used to be an Asian woman who was either a manager or maitre dā€™ during the Peterā€™s and Burkeā€™s ownership, I havenā€™t seen her since the new owners took over. I assume the closure was too long for her to wait out a new owner and she moved on. Too bad she was excellent on the floor.

1 Like

LOL! I didnā€™t see anyone fitting the jeans/sport coat combo!

I see where the waiter was coming from, but if the customer insists that they like their steaks on the more done side without pink, I would think you would take their word on it. But yeah Iā€™m sure they hear it a lot and end up tossing over cooked steaks.

I didnā€™t see anyone Asian working (or eating for that matter!).

Yes all servers are trained to ā€œorderā€ a filet on the rare end of the spectrum. You canā€™t go back and fix it once it is cooked. And with little fat, over cooking a filet can easily ruin it. I know Iā€™m preaching to the choir :slight_smile:

Jr have you seen Christian lately? I havenā€™t in a while. He lives right near me.

Hmmmā€¦no clue what this fish could be. Let me investigate

Negative. My last time running into him was at Shrewsbury Car Wash, shortly after my first experience at the new Fromagerie and I told him how let down I was. He said I wasnā€™t the first to tell him that, we talked about his dad for a few, that was it.

As a schoolteacher, I understand grade inflation, but anything above a C is unearned :grin:

At that price point I am expecting much more.

3 Likes

Bumping this up. Yes, I am bumping my own thread.

I just realized it is my in-laws 40th wedding anniversary coming up. WHOOPS.

I had a thought of taking them out to a nice dinner. Either as a group or just sending them. If we go all together, it will include our toddler too. SO, similar question to my trusty group of HOā€™s :wink: except, my FIL hates loud restaurants. They arenā€™t big drinkers so BYOB is fine.

Any suggestions?

Well my two ā€œgo toā€ byob can get loud so maybe we can cross them off the list, christineā€™s and angelicas.

Fernandes 3 will appeal to almost any person with its giant menu and great food. You can get anything from huge lobsters (stuffed too,) different steaks, whole fish, rodizio, etc. Dollar for dollar that place kicks ass!

Let me think about it. Are they into ethnic food?

Ps, what happened to the rumson house? I went by Saturday night at 8:10 and there wasnā€™t a single car thereā€¦100% shutdown.

1 Like

If itā€™s not too far south, Poached Pear in Pt. Pleasant may be a good option and its BYOB.

1 Like

@gracieggg YOUā€™RE the person Iā€™d ask this question of!! :rofl::joy::rofl: But without knowing how serious they are about food, here are a few ideas:
-Grand Tavern in Neptune (a block from Bradley Beach)
-Heirloom Kitchen AT THE COUNTER (only if theyā€™d appreciate it)
-Via 45 or Semolina in Red Bank
-Albarino in Shrewsbury

2 Likes

I think Iā€™m the only person here who doesnā€™t dig via45. Everything about the place is fine, from the service to the food and ambiance. I just donā€™t connect with it. The food is definitely good but it just doesnā€™t blow me away. Iā€™ll take Christineā€™s or angelicas hands down.

2 Likes

how about Just? Any thoughts about that?

LOL :slight_smile: I like to crowd source ideas!

1 Like

I would say perhaps on ethnic food. I know they would be into Turkish food but they arenā€™t wildly adventurous eaters.

Fernandes might be a fun option. Thanks!

Note Fernandes is not byob.

They have so many dishes it is almost hard to pick. I will say that Dave, Jeff, Jr and I will all recommend the ribeye and shrimp served on a tile. It comes with a sterno underneath and you cook it yourself. I love blazing hot steak so this does it for me!

Fernandes 2 is in Newark and even better. If you take the train itā€™s about a 5 min cab ride from Newark Penn station.

2 Likes

Iā€™m sticking with one of my original suggestions, The Raven and Peach. (although not byo) They are in the midst of a good streak with me, the last 3 times in the past 6 weeks have been extremely enjoyable experiences. Unfortunately they had become hit or miss for awhile but seem to be back on their game.

BYOB = Christineā€™s is probably still one of the best, Iā€™m not sure how high on the fancy scale I give it, but itā€™s very good.

Semolina of course.

Ponteā€™ Vecchio in Old Bridge (same plaza as Heirloom) is a very good BYO as well.

While again not too ā€œfancyā€ Iā€™ve enjoyed several meals at Olive and Ivy in Eatontown for something different.

2 Likes

BYOB isnā€™t a requirement. I donā€™t care much about that.

@NotJrvedivici we had a very weird issue at Raven several years ago and this entire crew has refused to go back so sadly, thatā€™s off the table. 3 times in 6 weeks!?

Semolina might be a good option if we can get in early before it gets loud.

1 Like

Raven is and has been my favorite Monmouth County restaurant for the past 25 years. So when they are on their game Iā€™m there frequently. lol So yeah weā€™ve been there 3 xā€™s in the past 6 weeks.

2 Likes

Can someone convince me to go to semolina? Please

I am not eating carbs and much sugar at all. It is kind of my own diet. In 2 months I havenā€™t had a piece of bread, any French fries, or rice and very little booze. Yeah it totally sucks! Iā€™m down from 28x to 217.5 . I could be even lower than 217 but I havenā€™t weighed myself lately.

4 Likes

280 to 217 in 2 mos?

Or down 28lbs? Lol