Best Cuban sandwich in the DC metro area

I have a nominee – the Cubano ar Saoco in The Heights, the new food court near the Friendship Heights metro. Most places just roast the pork. SaocoThey really marinates the meat in mojo, and may slather some on. Good bread, too.

Full review and more on my blog.

3 Likes

Although it’s been years for me, Colada Shop had a very good one. Traditional.

Not so traditional but a terrific sandwich is the one at El Rey in Ballston.

3 Likes

This may sound heretical, but I kind of like the Medianoche Cuban sandwich better than the regular Cuban sandwich. The bread is just a touch sweet and it gives the sandwich’s salty pork and sour pickles just another layer of deliciousness.
Not sure if it is common in the DC area though.

3 Likes

Steve, Ive delayed going to Colada Shop because they don’t mention the mojo. I’ll get there, though I don’t see one on El Rey’s Ballston menu. It may be there, but I didn’t see it

1 Like

I’m sure someone has a medianoche. It’s funny, but I avoid the menianoche precisely because of the sweet bread. I avoid sweet elements in savory foods. (Don’t get me started on sweet barbecue sauces.). That makes me the heretical one

1 Like

My favorite Cuban place in the area is Mi Cuba in Columbia Heights. They have a fantastic Cubano, and though I have not had it, they do offer a Medianoche.

3 Likes

DanielK, I’ve head good things about MiCuba, but I always have turned in Los Hermanos instead. If the use mojo, I’ll definitely give it a try.

1 Like