Best Casual Seafood, Monmouth County

Haha! I actually use that saying myself. If you haven’t been, Belford bistro is putting out some great food.

Will check it out. Not in Belford often, save for Kings Arms (which I think is technically Belford).

Fried zukes are one of best hings by far at B.B. I usually try to drink the sauce and end up scalding my tongue shoving them in my mouth too quickly. Salad with house dressing
With the egg is another

1 Like

Just will add we hit up fireman’s fair in fair haven tonight. And must say the fried seafood was really good.

1 Like

I had a delightful lobster roll at Boondocks in RB on Saturday. My husband ordered the scallops which IMO were over seasoned, but well cooked.

4 Likes

A great place to byob and chill with a lobster roll and soak up the scenery.

1 Like

Totally. But I am a little confused about one thing. When we arrived, the host said it was about a 45 minute wait for a table or there were tables under a tent that were first come first serve. Both places you order at the counter and the food is delivered so what is the difference?

Oh and Boondocks is now on the straw free bandwagon. I’m all about eco-friendly and all but this entire operation is using disposable stuff. Plastic forks, cups, paper plates etc etc etc. I suppose every bit helps, but I wish it wasn’t on the night I forgot a sippy cup for my 1 year old! Ha!

2 Likes

bumping back up to add we did our first Keyport Fishery trip of the season recently. Place was packed; prob 45 min wait for our food; seemed a quarter of Monmouth County was standing outside waiting. As always food was dynamite. Fed three people a gut busting about of seafood for 35 bucks (only that much b/c we splurged for fried scallops too). Can’t think of many places with better value to quality ratio these days.

3 Likes

Now that Peter’s Fishery is no more, and Keyport Fishery is take-out only, are there any casual fisheries in the northern Monmouth/southern Middlesex area? (Let’s say within ten miles of Shanghai Bun.)

navesink- is around- but think they are trying to go more upmarket

I’m sorry but I cannot name one for you.

Was this last night? My husband picked up tacos for us in keyport and came back saying how packed it was and how we should try it again. Did you notice if they had fried clams?

No. Last week. Good Friday. Which prob explains the crowds. But most weekends from 5 to 7 it’s prob gonna be packed nowadays. I don’t remember if they have clams tbh. Will check next time. We really like it for what it is. All cash and only Fred. Zero atmosphere and take out only. But for thirty bucks to feed three people a butt load of really well prepared fish is tough to beat. Their homemade tartar sauce is legit as well. If only fried fish kept better I’d switch from lusty lobster to them for the holidays.

3 Likes

My understanding on fried clams there is that they are market dependent. So call before you go.

Assuming you are talking about whole belly/steamers/Ipswich clams… insert your preferred nomenclature, and not clam strips.

Correct, not clam strips (unless they are fresh). Thanks. I assumed as much too about the market but I don’t know when that time of year is! Ha!

1 Like

Giving this more thought, while not a fishery The Chowda House in Red Bank always has a good selection of fresh seafood prepared in a variety of ways.

There’s Moby’s next to Bahr’s Landing in Highlands…

1 Like

Nothing better than grabbing a bucket of brews and some fried clams out on the deck!! Good call!!

1 Like

The thing I love about keyport fishery is that they keep it as simple as they can. All the fish is battered and fried the same way. They don’t try crazy specials and things. They just stick with what works.

Chowdah house does fresh clam bellies but you have to call since they go on special when they are available.

Jody’s in Neptune is another to add to the list.

2 Likes