Berlin Eatz Summer 2022 [Berlin, Germany]

That and what’s up with the very random placement of the eggplant? That said, the punk rock pizza looks really good.

2 Likes

No tweezers were involved :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Nice lunch today at a hipster place in a hipster nabe :smiley: The croque madame with spinach was pretty forgettable, but the burrata dressed with olive oil, finely diced preserved lemon, fennel seeds & sorrel chiffonade was fantastic. Easy to recreate at home, too.

Also swung by an incredible Syrian bakery in the same hood (tho not as hip) for pistachio treats. A large tray of harissa with pistachio had just been delivered, and the owner gave us a taste. So good we got some of that, too. Really complex flavors with just a teeny touch of rosewater. Will be back :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Oops. Forgot the burrata :grimacing:

4 Likes

Technically not a “Berlin Eatz,” as this is not in or from Berlin. A short trip to the Rhineland had me order the local beloved specialty “Himmel un Ääd,” which is fried blood sausage on a bed of lovely mashed taters with fried onions and a side of apple sauce.

4 Likes

That looks faaaaaaan.ta.stic! One of my Rheinlander favourites!

I am also a fan of Flönz.

Mine “Himmel un Ääd” at home:

It was a great rendition, although I thought the blood sausage could’ve used a lil more time in the pan… but I’m also spoiled by blood sausage I’ve had in Berlin from this place, which has won many awards and supplies several restaurants in town.

Yours looks mighty fine!

Was it in Bonn? I see Sion Kölsch.
Drank it at Sion Brauereiausschank in Köln.

The Zungenblutwurst from Blutwurstmanufactur looks awesome. Needs a Homer drooling emoji for this.

Bonn. Sudhaus.

1 Like

I like the apple & potato combo, and also pear & potato variation.

(Would sub another sausage if making at home because I’m not a fan of any blood sausages I’ve tried anywhere, I tell them to hold the black pudding when I order a Full English in England so it doesn’t go to waste)

Lunch at a sushi place we’ve been going to for at least a decade, if not longer. I’m almost embarrassed about how happy it made me that the sushi dude remembered our favorites, and made them without us having to say a word. While we do tend to go at least once every summer, we haven’t been back since 2019, of course. Mind blown by that guy’s good memory!

Their miso soup is the best I’ve had at any sushi restaurant. We had aburiyaki nigiri with salmon (I could OD on that those), butterfish nigiri, Mr. Hai special roll (salmon, salmon roe, crispy salmon skin, avocado), another aburiyaki nigiri with salmon (as I said… :smiley: ), and a spider roll.

3 Likes

Fabulous dinner in the hood at an Izakaya we just happened to walk by yesterday while wine shopping :slight_smile:

Shared the marinated and baked eggplant, marinated mackerel, surf clam on spinach & scallions, scallop & grapefruit carpaccio, and the pork gyoza. I had a lovely Daina sake, my companion draft beer.

Everything was great quality and delicious. My only criticism would be that the open kitchen, where a lot of things are fried, made for pretty smelly clothes coming home. I will totally go back, but sit outside, Berlin ‘summer weather’ allowing :wink:

2 Likes

Doner Kebab Imren Grill

I’m glad Natascha has started this thread. It’s given me the kick up the bottom I need to post about my recent visit to Berlin.

First up is the doner kebab from Imren Grill ( they have several branches in Berlin). A doner kebab is a Berlin classic and this one was light years away from the doner kebabs of my youth in England. The missus was sceptical but I explained they made their own bread and doner meat , and it showed.

Unlike the UK the bread was not pitta but soft Turkish bread, similar to foccacia. I’ve had similar from a Turkish bakery in South London, I love their bread and I loved this. The doner meat was succulent but not greasy. Loads of fresh herbs and salad. I grabbed a seat while the missus ordered. For the first kebab she didn’t order all the sauces but my the second order a local intervened and I got the komplett ,with all the sauces , recommended.

All delicious apart from the drink I grabbed. It was purple in colour and it was a Turkish place. I didn’t read the bottle and assumed pomegranate. Turns out it was turnip juice. Not my favourite drink I’ve ever had if I’m honest.

Imren Grill Görlitzer Bahnhof Berlin

5 Likes

Nice! :+1: Please add more when you have time.

It was in Berlin, in June of 1997, where I had my first/“real” Turkish kebab. I was a novice backpacker then was was doing an Interail tour all the way to Corfu, ending in Hamburg via Berlin. Memories!

1 Like

Always happy to inspire other posters :slight_smile:

I went to Imren years ago when it was The Big Thing and the best döner in town. I look at it more like shwarma, since the meat is marinated in such a different way than your usual döner meat. They make their own pita, and it’s fun to watch the bread come out of the oven.

Glad you haven’t fallen for the stupid hype that surrounds the vegetable döner on Mehringdamm. I’ve had it both sober and drunk and, while certainly not bad, it is absolutely not worth waiting on line for.

I’m almost ashamed to say that I have not yet had a döner, even though I’ve been here almost a month. I did have a very good falafel sammich, even if it’s not from my favorite place, simply bc I’ve not been in Schöneberg at the right time of day yet :slight_smile:

The lack of döner might be remedied for tomorrow night’s dinner, tho.

3 Likes

I want doner right now. Thanks, y’all.

No “donair” to be had in TO or London?

I was afraid to ask. Thought maybe you had shunned it.
Don’t let it happen again. :sweat_smile:

Ohne Zwiebeln, bitte. (No onions, please.) :cowboy_hat_face: When I order mine.

1 Like

Funny story. When my darling was in Germany for the first time, he confused “Zwiebel” with “Zweifel.”

He was verrrrry emphatic when he ordered his döner “ohne Zweifel.”

I bet the döner dude was confused :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

:joy: He wanted his Döner “without a doubt”. Yeah, very determined to have a Döner.

2 Likes