[Berkeley] Afghan Burrito

Luke writes about Afghan Burrito at 2309 San Pablo Av in West Berkeley.

The gold foil–wrapped burrito is delicious — and also ready for Instagram. (Courtesy of Afghan Burrito)

“This is a tasty, well-constructed burrito by any measure: The meat has that satisfying kiss of smoke you only get from grilling over a live fire; the beans are toothsome; the rice is well seasoned. But the sauce is what sets the burrito apart, giving it a slightly sweet, buttery richness (though it’s not made with butter) and a flavor profile loosely reminiscent of something you might find at one of New York City’s famed halal chicken carts.”

The uncle of a founder of Afghan Burrito has been making a similarly-styled burrito at The Hot Spot for 30 years on San Pablo Av near Solano in nearby Albany.

Sarah Kirnon formerly of Miss Ollie’s is having a pop-up on Sunday 4 and 18 at Joodooboo in Oakland at 4201 Market.

Check her
Holdershouse, Oakland
Instagram for a menu which includes skillet fried chicken with pepper sauce as well as jerk mushrooms.

7 Likes

That ‘gold foil-wrapped burrito’ looks splendid. I want one.

2 Likes

I had the Afghan burrito yesterday, after someone pointed me to Luke’s review. It was very good, but pricey at just under $15. I think I tasted tahini in that “golden sauce”.

3 Likes