Berg's Smoked Meat and Poutine - Belmar, NJ

Found the Reuben! Very good.

8 Likes

It’s a dive, in the best sense imaginable. A food experience not to be missed when visiting Montreal. Where you literally rub elbows with those you share a table with. It’s part of the culture, like bagels. Even at its busiest, it runs like a well-oiled machine. I tend to go during the week, outside of peak hours, when parking is somewhat easier.

1 Like

As a Jersey local I will go as soon as I’m able and check out Berg’s. Having said that …

5 Likes

I don’t understand the popularity of Del Pointes. IMHO their products just aren’t that good.

1 Like

It was probably the Main Deli Steak House named after the street it is on Boulevard Saint- Laurent a.k.a. The Main.

Bear Claws & Cannolis & Pistachio Biscottis are the # 1 reason in my household # 2 they have made me look great whenever I bring one of their special occasion cakes.
Going on over 2 decades for this nyc transplant.

1 Like

Although it’s been over a year since I’ve been there, I’m a fan of Del Pontes’ biscotti -and that’s after living in Lyndhurst for 15+ years, where Lyndhurst bake shop was my go-to. That said, I’m concerned that the Berg‘s thread is being hijacked… Perhaps we can move the non-bread bakery discussion over here? http://www.hungryonion.org/c/regions/nj/50

2 Likes

@RGR,
Try going on off peak hours 3:00 - 3:30 p.m. usually no line up at that time.

Thanks! I was already figuring that would be the case. Since they serve all day, and we usually have lunch between 3 pm and 3:30 pm, we’ll do it then.

2 Likes

Not that I’m calling for a HODown or anything, but if anyone is free for a late lunch tomorrow, Friday, 4/22, I will finally be trying Berg’s.

My plan is to get there around 2, but I am flexible on the time.

I’m so far away in my new condo that I probably could just as easily go to Schwartz’s :crazy_face:

Who wants to eat?

1 Like

I’m tentative at best. I’m trying to get out of the office tomorrow around 2, so if I can I will swing by. Doubtful, but the best I can offer at this time.

1 Like

Bummer—I’m busy eating my way through Texas! Just arrived in Galveston after a terrific lunch at Loro in Houston. LoroEats.com

3 Likes

So after getting a great report from Dr’s and going to Bar A to see my friends band, all my excuses for not getting here are gone.
I was raised on Katz’s ,Pastrami King & Queen and Ben’s so I have some cred.
This pastrami was a mazing, blown away by the counter man asking if I wanted it fatty, lean or in between. Really!!!
I got a lean pastrami sandwich on great fresh rye bread. . Not ready for poutine yet but there’s a return visit coming soon.

Add images here

4 Likes

Great news all around!

1 Like

Thank you :wine_glass:

Glad to hear they are keeping the quality up. And also glad you enjoyed it!

1 Like

Thanks

Was ”down the shore” today on such a beautiful Saturday. While my wife enjoyed the beach at Avon by the Sea, I took a quick side trip to nearby Belmar and treated myself to lunch at Berg’s. I ate at the indoor countertop ---- also noted several folks dining happily at the outdoor tables curbside in front. For lunch, I had the smoked Montreal meat/poutine offering. Very delicious, reasonably priced, and they even kindly provided a plastic lid for the foil dish so I could take home some leftovers for dinner tonight. Store was clean,pleasant, and the staff was most welcoming … photo of the ‘main event’ included here. Hadn’t been to Berg’s for a bit so I was glad to see them in their usual spot with the food as wonderful as I had remembered. Glad I ventured over today :grinning: Definitely recommended!

Add images here

11 Likes