Bell Market Food Hall at BellWorks, Holmdel

Like I needed another reason to want to work in that building! Booskerdoo Coffee is already in there as well.

3 Likes

I want to work in this building too! Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

I did work in this building for most of the 24 years I was at Bell Labs. It’s a much better place to work in now, then in the late 1990s, Bell Market or not. For one thing, the roof leaked pretty badly back then, and they were not making repairs to rest rooms, doors, etc.

I’ve been back to see the new place and they have spiffed it up considerably.

Maybe a lunchtime HO Down after a few more of the places actually open up?

1 Like

Last night, we attended the Mardi Gras event at Bell Works. Both my husband and I worked in the monstrous building years back. The place was spiffed up with grass-like areas in the atrium ends where kids could play. I saw a Montessori school and Holmdel library and meeting room in the end where we parked. In the food hall, Corbo & Sons pizza and Bubz deli were open. Local 130 was there selling Wellfleet oysters ($3 each). Outside of the food hall were Booskerdoo (closed), Mezza Luna, and Estrella Azul. For the event, the restaurants offered only a handful of dishes. Alcohol kiosks were spread around the floor as were vendors selling wares like clothes, jewelry, BBQ sauces, and hemp products. The band, Moroccan Sheepherders, played in the center of the kiosk. A man and a woman on stilts and dressed for Mardi Gras danced with the crowd.

Finding nothing healthy but oysters, we got on a short line at Corbo & Sons for pizza. We ended up walking away mid-wine transaction because the woman behind the counter was nasty. At Mezza Luna, we ordered mac and cheese with chorizo (oh so good), hush puppies, and a muffaletta sandwich. We were handed four little beignets as we left. Yum! On to the dance floor! Looking forward to attending more events at this building. As we left, I was remarking on how cool to have such events available to us–it’s like we live in Portland, OR, or something!

5 Likes

Sorry we didn’t have HO badges on. We were there as well, party of six. We nibbled, enjoyed a glass having had dinner at home and breakfast at Bell Market that morning inquiry about the event.

As a town resident, I have numerous neighbors who have had one connection or another working in that property. The surrounding residential property was envisioned for decades, so strange to see it now.

I wouldn’t go out of my way for Bell Markets but the quality is surprisingly good. The folks working there have a cool working environ and they know it. Google-ish HQ vibe…

5 Likes

Bad wine transaction notwithstanding, if you want to go back, and are a Katie Parla fan she’ll be there next week. (Rome based Jersey girl, food writer, cookbook writer…)

2 Likes

Freehold’s iconic Jersey Freeze is supposedly opening their second location in Bell Works.

1 Like

Nothing against Bell Works, but I will say this: I have lived less than 10 minutes away from this location most of my life, and pass it weekly en route to teaching at Brookdale. This place is popular and gaining more visitors and people living onsite. The one lane road which Bell Works rests on is NOT conducive to the numbers they are expecting. I sure hope they have plans to make it a two lane road. It helps that they are in the middle of nowhere, but all routes leading there are ONE lane. They are in close proximity to a GSP exit (114) and I am imagining a traffic nightmare for their evening events.

2 Likes

Once the hotel is built, there are anticipated road changes. The event yesterday began at 4:30pm and we had no trouble in or out. the BM eateries close 3-4pm. Staggering business hours has created reasonable traffic. Residents living inside the BL compound know the deal. The other morning there were dozens of avail parking spaces. They could use more street lights.

I have lived in Holmdel since 1968, the changes over decades have been well worth it. BL old and new is a prideful spot.

Fwiw, since you mentioned BCC, I have taken courses at Brookdale since the 70’s and attended dozens of events including concerts and the traffic in and out of BCC is orderly but hardly without high traffic hours.

Traffic.is.everywhere.

5 Likes

Just a reminder that the every Wednesday atrium food markets kick into higher gear as of this month. Produce, tastemakers, crafts and unusual items are sold.

1 Like

Don’t forget that in its heydey there were 6000 employees in that building served by the two-lane roads (one each way). The on-site roads are indeed one-lane, but also one-way.

1 Like

We got pizzas at corbo and sons. Plain, fresh mozzarella,
And a pepperoni pie. All there were excellent. Honestly one of the pies I’ve had locally. And this was after 20 min or so in the car getting soggy. Nice salad too with arugula, radishes, and a nice mustardy dressing. Really good experience. Pepperoni were sandwich size slices not the usual little sized ones. Will def be hitting them up again soon

6 Likes