BEER (2017-2023) - What did we drink (today/recently)?

Hop Reach by Allagash Brewing Company (Portland, ME) - IPA

A bit middle of the road IPA - not too juicy, not too hoppy. Motes of citrus, pines, some medium, dry finish. Quite drinkable but also a bit one dimensional and “boring”.

Either. Every single pilsner I’ve had here was over-hopped.

That is the main reason i like Pilsener Urquel and Staropramen served in the Czech Republic so much. The hops and malts are balanced with the hops NOT dominating!

1 Like

When I lived in Queens, I used to get Staropramen at the Bohemian Beer Hall–great pilsner!

Since you are at the east coast - have you tried von Trapp beers ?

I don’t recall seeing them anywhere, tho I will say their selection sounds promising. It’s ok, tho. I’ll be back in the fatherland shortly and can get my fill of ‘proper’ beer for a coupla months :wink:

Even as a German I have to say that the beer selection in Germany (including pilsner) is rather underwhelming and disappointing now - yes, there are a many options but it seems 90% of the market is either pilsner or weizen but hardly anything else

It doesn’t bother me much, as I’m not a huge beer person, and despise IPAs and other ales. Not a stout lover, either. I can enjoy the occasional Schwarzbier, tho I’ve not encountered anything like it in the US yet.

And there are many, many small German craft breweries that (sadly) have jumped on the IPA trend. Sours/gose I can handle.

Slate by Idle Hands Craft Ales (Malden, MA) - American Pale Ale

APAs are often the milder, softer cousins of IPAs and this one is no exception. Milder citrus upfront with hints of tropical aroma, followed by a lot of hoppy, grassy flavors with an interesting quite pronounced floral taste. Dry, very low bitterness finish.

1 Like

From San Diego , 7.1 abv
Medium bodied., hazy. OK, not my favorite but not bad

2 Likes

Numb Numb Juice by Fall River Brewing Company (Redding, CA) - NEIPA

Poster child of a hazy IPA - pineapple, guava flavors mixed with citrus notes upfront. Followed by some grassy, dank flavors and a dry, relatively low bitterness finish. Very easily drinkable IPA.

2 Likes

What’s the name. I’d hit dat! Breckenridge? (Has their awful vanilla porter once. ) headache in a bottle. But, I’d trust your Plzn radar.

I’ve purchased Kostritzer Schwarz by me. Kind of like a dark light beer. One of the few darks for warm days.

I’m with you on the IPA craze, even the lesser hopped NE ones don’t trip my trigger.

This was my choice last weekend. Kozel Volkopopvicky and Zywiec Baltic Porter. Neither are the top of the brew chain in their respective styles, but both worth a quaff.

2 Likes

Boal City. It’s a very new local brewery that doesn’t sell outside of its own premises, at least for now. Kölsch is up on tap this Thursday. Ve shall see.

Kolsch is summer heaven. Might be the best quaffing style I know. Let us know what you think of it when you try it.

Plum Gobbler by S27 Alehouse & Brewery (San Jose, CA) - Pastry Sour

Great example of a dessert beer - fruit cake flavor upfront (plum flavor could be a bit more pronounced) with a creamy, nearly viscous, mouthfeel. Like with a good dessert, before it gets too sweet the tartness balances the overall profile.

1 Like

Greenwarden by Banded Brewing Company (Biddeford, ME) - American Pale Ale

Unique variation on a pale ale with the addition of spruce tips - start with the normal citrus notes and a malt backbone but then the woodsy, piney, herbal notes of the spruce tips take over and the flavor reminds you on a walk through a forest. Not a beer you want to drink every day but perfect sipping beer for a camping trip.

1 Like

Dark Clouds Must Pass by Wandering Soul Beer (Beverly, MA) - Hazy Triple IPA

Nearly viscous mouthfeel on this IPA with quite floral notes throughout mixed with some citrus and piney tastes. Medium bitter, dry finish with a slight warming, alcohol aftertaste.

1 Like

Oceans by Mast Landing Brewing Company (Westbrook, ME) - Hazy IPA

Quite fruity, tropical smelling but the actual taste has a more citrus aroma with some hints of peach and pineapple and is overall much more dominated by earthy, piney flavors. Tastes a bit one dimensional.

1 Like