Beef Ribs

How long are we talking at 250? I work tonight, and was thinking of throwing them in the oven before I head out… I’d love to return to a delicious dinner at 11:30 PM :sunglasses:

Or should I brown, then braise? In beer? So. Many. Questions.

Here’s what I got:

Never mind the sneakers.

I’m guestimating no more than three hours. Might eat 'em after two though. Drop oven down to 225 and go as long as four to five.

Just salt & pepper? On a baking sheet?

Up to you. And, yes.

Wellllll… they came out ok. Not a hella meat on them, TBH. I kinda splashed the whole thang with some soy sauce, worcestershire, maggi sauce, s&p, cayenne, and just a little 5 spice.

Needed salt (of all things). And more meat. But not bad for a first.

1 Like

Those look pretty darn appetizing. When I do them I season them 24 hrs in advance. I then use lump charcoal in a BGE and cook them until they pull a 1/4 inch or so up the bone.

Your right, there is not a lot of meat but whats there is very rich. 2 bones from a 7 bone back rack does me fine.

I used to pull the membrane off the back but changed my ways. Membrane holds the fat into the back side of the meat.

So, as Tom has very accurately pointed out, the Beef Back Ribs are from the Prime Rib (regardless of grade) and are the bovine equivalent of the Pork Baby Back Ribs. As such, they are actually inherently quite tender and while they can be smoked low and slow, it isn’t necessary.

You can go about 4 hours in the smoker at about 225F, or you can simply roast in the oven with S&P for about an hour or so at 325F. The experience is different. One is like, well, BBQ, soft and shreddy and well done, and the other is rare and juicy like prime Rib.

The cheaper ones are called “shiners” because there is so much bone showing. Also, many have the big meaty ends cut off so they are more like a St. Louis style spare rib, which to me is sad because they have cut the best parts off. The better ones – they’re now about $5 or $6 a pound – have an inch or so of meat covering the bones. These are usually from a market that has its own butchers and bones out prime ribs by hand. As Tom suggested, most of the racks you see are done by machine with a v-shaped blade, because they want more of the meat on the Prime Rib to sell at the higher price. Sometimes the blade cuts so deep you can actually see gaps between the ribs.

Here’s how to pick them out:

and here’s how to do them simply and quickly roasted:

and if there are any left over from a Prime Rib, here’s a spin on an old Julia recipe:

Finally, here’s how we smoke them at my place:

In terms of the short ribs from the plate, we bought a few cases at RD a few months ago and these things were huge, as pointed out above. They came either six or eight to a cryo and one was about a half-pound after cooking and removing the bone. They sold well but not spectacularly and given the weight loss to shrinkage and bone, we couldn’t break even on them, so we stopped doing them.

3 Likes

Hey A/C, great to see you here on the Onion. Serious meat folks are close to my heart. Hope all is well.

I just smoked a whole rack of pork spareribs and a 7 bone rack of beef back ribs about a week ago. Truly one of man’s treats. This dumb man gave his 12 yr old daughter a beef rib. Game over.

Quite a while back I tried a back door approach on CH to let you, Fourunder & Brian know about the Onion. Have you heard from them?

Best regards, Tom

1 Like

Yeah, I think they dip in here from time to time. CH is a mess and it’s impossible to find anything, but a few discussions are continuing.

I posted this on that other board but a re-do isn’t all bad. Deviled beef bones, AKA dinosaur bones for my sons - were a standard favorite dinner. Brushed w/ a combination of Tabasco (or other hot sauce), Worcestershire & Dijon mustard, rolled in buttered bread crumbs and broiled, these are messy to eat but delicious. The old San Francisco restaurant, Bardelli’s, had them as an off-menu special. I always loved watching my well-dressed mother picking these up and gnawing them.
NB: I’ve only made them with roast beef bones since the cook time is short. I think short ribs would be tough.

It may take me a while to get past the image of beef ribs rolled in buttered bread crumbs. I’m sure they’re unique and you certainly enjoy them, but… why??? Sorry if that sounds negative, but it just seems wrong.

They sound good but beef ribs by their very nature have a very high fat content. I know fat is flavor and love adding it to food but beef ribs would be one of the last things that would come to mind in terms of needing to add additional fat.

On the other hand, the fact that the restaurant has a long term following suggests they must be pretty good.