[BBC] Why Americans love Great British Bake Off

They do? I have no idea. I enjoy watching Nadiya Hussein* cookery programme but not when she starts baking something, me being no fan of cakes and tarts or baking. (*She’s a previous winner)

See link for full article:

What Americans often praise about the show is the lack of cut-throat competition or monetary incentives.

“Contestants never say things like ‘I didn’t come here to make friends.’ There are no irritating product placements and - perhaps most incomprehensibly to American audiences - no material riches to be won.”

Incredulously, it continued: “That’s right: The winner of The Great British Baking Show wins a title and an engraved cake stand, and that’s it.”

2 Likes

Incredulously, indeed. Absolute bollocks!

What winning (or even being a popular loser) does is open up a hopefully glittering career. Here’s a link to the “where are they now” winners 2010 - 2017:

And, as I say, even losing can be winning. Witness the several cookbooks from the delicious Chetna Makan * - a copy of her “Chai, Chaat & Chutney” sits on the shelf waiting to be cooked from .

( * Yes, I know, I know - straight middle aged sexist alert )

1 Like

We DO enjoy it! Its friendly and appriachable, and its not a popularity contest where you’re voted off by the scheming co-contestants. They help one another and laugh together. None of the nastiness or rants that feature on US reality shows.

Bake well and you’ll stay. Bung it up and theyll show you the door.

And the recipes are actually approachable and made with ingredients average people might purchase, not a reduction of powdered unicorn horn and fairytears that can only be reproduced with a piece of equipment costing thousands of dollars.

6 Likes

Thanks for the link, Harters. The winners now have successful baking-related careers after the show. It opens doors, indeed. Maybe Americans don’t know about it because it’s not something they report in American press.

Sunshine, is the American version as enjoyable? Did they quit their jobs and now having baking-related careers as well?

I’ll remember to watch it next year. I might even enjoy it, who knows.

I like the tent in a meadow approach.
And my baking friends seem to know quite a bit about it and love it :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I admit to loving this show too. Not only the serene, green field and the occasional cuts to adorable lambs, I like the lack of personal dramas or intentional “villain edits” o like in US competition shows. Plus I get to learn all the names of a lot of different pastries that I’ve never heard of. I also really like the feedback they’re given - it’s always honest, but not in a put you down sort of way.

The funny thing is that I can’t stand the American version. I wish they were inspired to have a similar version of baking focused show. Instead they mimic everything from the music to the American hosts, who try way too hard to copy the humor, style, and energy as their British counterparts, and it’s just cringeworthy.

1 Like

The American version IS the UK version.

They launched an American version as well . . .

I know there are international versions, including American. (Thanks, Thimes.)

Wiki has a long list. Goes to show the programme’s popularity. Some countries give it fun/cute names. Italy: “sweets in the oven”. Bulgaria: “the sweetest competition”.

Oh ,that’s not enjoyable to watch. Why can’t they use the British concept but make it to American taste? The humour and cultures are different. Didn’t know they copy everything to a T.

I have to check out some clips of both versions soon.

With the exceptions that no-one was firing artillery shells or poison gas at you.

Time for an advert:

5 Likes

Cool :sunglasses:
I doubt you’ll ever make it inland to Kansas City but you’d be a celebrity at the WW I Museum/Liberty Memorial there.

It was announced on FB that the upcoming celebrity charity GBBO series will be the last stint in the tent for Sandi Toksvig. Her successor was not divulged.

Sandi’s leaving has been widely reported in the UK. No replacement yet mentioned. My bet is Jo Brand - another comedian and already has a foot in the door with her hosting of the Bake Off Extra Slice programme. A secondary bet that, if my first is correct, her place on Extra Slice to be taken by Tom Allen.

1 Like

I rather enjoyed the holiday baking shows I’ve watched, including this year’s. And I’m a HUGE fan of the UK series, at least the old ones when it was still Paul and Mary and Mel and Sue. I don’t get Netflix, so I was really bummed when, because of the changes in the UK, PBS lost the US rights. I find myself getting really invested in the competitors and the competitions, and have learned a number of techniques (did not know how to make a genoise sponge beforehand) as well as recipes and such via the technical challenges.

1 Like

I love GBBS. I love the low keyness of it, even when they are very stressful. I love the helpfulness and comraderie. The support the contestants give each other as they sit in the chairs or during the challenges. That feels very real. The setting is extremely soothing. The opening music is a salve for my frayed nerve endings. I like the judges and the hosts (although the newer ones less than the old). And I love the personal stories and all the backgrounds.

One other gentle remark, and I hope it is taken this way, because I think this person is probably a good and well meaning individual. Please don’t acknowledge a comment as sexist and make it anyway. Women try so hard, and have so many obstacles thrown in front of them, to be recognized for their achievements and abilities. Calling them delicious undermines that entirely. And I don’t understand why someone who seems to know it’s wrong does it anyway.

2 Likes

Sandi’s replacement has been announced as Matt Lucas. For those who don’t know him, Lucas is an actor mainly playing comedy roles, including starring in comedy sketch shows. I can’t recall ever seeing him out of a role, so have no idea how his personality is going to work within the show and, in particular, with Noel.

1 Like

Now I have to start watching. It will be interesting to see what Matt Lucas brings to this type of show.

1 Like