Bay Leaf, giving it some attention

So true about the oil. Most Mexican sauces I ake get the oil treatment. I love Pati. Very genuine personality on TV. No BS.

1 Like

Clearly, I was not thinking. This simply was not doable as there was not enough leftover liquid to get the vortex necessary to nuke the bay leaves (and I shoulda remembered that from last time) so I didn’t even try.

1 Like

Oh well, another bites the (not) dust!

Inspired by this thread and ratgirlagogo’s bean recipe (“delicious beans at a favorite Peruvian chicken place was a LOT of bay leaves - so we started doing mayacoba beans that way”)
I cooked 2 cups dried black beans with 15 fresh laurel nobills and salt–delicious!

Will try chienrouge’s beef stew next.

3 Likes

i’ve got some baby limas to make i’m gonna try your move there usually use a few i’m gonna kick it up a notch !

1 Like

I’m not that person from CH, but we’ve had a bay plant in a pot on our back porch for close to 20 years. I didn’t realize it might be a big deal. We’re in Zone 8B (Pacific Northwest). It’s required repotting a few times over this time span, with a little root trimming involved, but that’s about it.

3 Likes

It wasn’t me either, but I have a little bay laurel houseplant. It would never survive the winter outside here in Ottawa, but I put it out for the summer. It is small and I usually forget to use the leaves. I’ll try to remember to get a picture tomorrow.

5 Likes

Here’s the picture. I really must learn to prune all my woody plants (bay, figs, curry leaf, rosemary). I did chop the top of this at one point and it branched out nicely, but I should do it again.

5 Likes

Nice, and thanks much for posting. You mentioned not using its leaves much, but I wonder to what extent a plant of that size would handle harvesting, for example if one were to use 6-8 leaves in a month’s time.

Just idle musing out loud - it might stimulate rapid new leaf growth or I guess it might weaken the plant. I think I’m going to find someone selling them potted around here (or order from Uncle Jeffy B’s website). The local Sunday radio gardening show guy said they will survive winter here once they get big enough.

I think it would be okay—I did give about half a dozen each to 3 people when it was about half the size. It’s doubtful I would use that many in a month but guests are often surprised by it and want to take some leaves home.

1 Like

Wapo on bay leaves

https://wapo.st/3jdJFdX

1 Like

Thank you - interesting article, and really appreciate the guest/gift sub so I didn’t have to try to circumvent the WaPoPayWall.

2 Likes