Bay Leaf, giving it some attention

(Dan) #41

Thanks for the guidance. I am still a steak eater but I enjoy breaks from beef too.

Don’t get me wrong l’m not a vegan. I like meat! But beans/legumes have a special place in my repertoire. It’s red light food.

(Dan) #43

Me too. I forget how much I enjoy black beans on their own.

Assuming you have a lot of beans in tasty liquid now all you need is some yellow rice to put it over!
(I cheated today and got yellow rice and saucy pinto beans from the dominican place i love- it’s an unholy crapton and stupid cheap. )

(Dan) #45

You are reading my mind!

LOL, I just had to say this article cracked me up. I’m definitely on the “not sure about bay leaf” side, but I will usually add them in when the recipe calls for it. I just don’t know if it might change the dish, even though I’m hard pressed to describe its scent or taste. I always use fresh from the store too, but I know those pre-packaged versions have differing quality.

The Indian Bay Leaves (Tej Patta) are from a Tree that is in the Cinnamon Genus and actually taste quite different from the Laurel Nobilis Leaves of the Mediterranean.
I think if you have fresher dried Leaves you would be able to tell the difference without a problem.

(Dan) #48

Then, the bay leaves I have are not from an Indian market. The dry bay I have been referring to has a grassy, citrus scent.

I was replying to Boogiebaby but you may have gotten Med. Bay Leaves at an Indian Grocery. You can tell by the way the Veins run in the Leaves. Tej Patta has Veins that run long ways.

Laural Noblis

(saregama) #50

Yup. I have both - the vertical veins are obvious in tej patta which is usually confusingly translated as bay leaves. Though they don’t smell or taste of cinnamon or cloves to me :woman_shrugging:t2: