Barnes and Noble to open concept stores, that will serve beer and wine

I live ten minutes from one
Reading while intoxicated?

Sounds like a good business strategy to me. Our local borders store had a coffee/smoothie bar that served snacks and desserts and it became quite popular. A brick and mortar book business had better get creative if they want to stay alive.

1 Like

Borders and Barnes&Noble commonly have cafes, as do some public libraries. Caffeinated beverages make Seuss when the main activity is reading, but IMO, alcohol is a stretch that is unlikely to improve book sales.

1 Like

Sometimes anything that brings people in and/or makes them stay longer is thought to have a potential for additional sales. Desperate timesā€¦ etcā€¦

We will see how this ā€˜concept storeā€™ flies. However, I am most happy to have Barnes & Noble in Eastchester/Scarsdale. The Borders bookstore before had a cafĆ© and always appeared busy, yet closedā€¦

1 Like

Interesting idea. I am not a huge fan of drinking (alcohol) while reading, but hey, I am not a big fan of drinking coffee while reading neither.

I would require a quiet room

The Eastchester/Scarsdale store in the Vernon Hills Shopping Mall looks like it is nearing completionā€¦with full service resto, cocktails, bocce court, fire pit and outdoor seating.

I passed by last week, it seemed as if construction and a lot of it had just begun, at least on the exterior.
Are you saying that the interior has been completed, if so how did you learn this ā€¦ TIA

Thru some people I know at Lord & Taylor on the other end of the shopping mallā€¦

What are they doing to the front of the building, it looks so strange to me?

It may be part of what I mention aboveā€¦outdoor seating, fire pit etc.

That would be strange given the location of the construction, but I suppose anything is possibleā€¦ty

Yes, we will seeā€¦

News 12 Westchester is reporting that the new Barnes & Noble concept store in Scarsdale/Eastchester is slated to open by the end of October. Now hiringā€¦

I passed the store today. The outside of the building, what you can see of it looks very nice. It has a clean, modern aesthetic. There is a significant outdoor area to the right of the building that is surrounded by a chain link fence, it resembles a prison yard at the moment, maybe was used as a construction staging area. I donā€™t remember the space being there when borders occupied the building. My guess is that it will be landscaped, possibly offer an additional seating area most likely seasonal. Iā€™m looking forward to seeing the finished product. I still donā€™t get alcohol and reading books but do hope they are successful and Iā€™m looking forward to checking out the store.
Here is the latest on whatā€™s going on
The picture in the second link is a fairly accurate snapshot of what the building currently looks like, minus the construction netting

Iā€™m curious to see how it works out. Itā€™s going to be very large with seating for over 200 from what I remember being told by their staffing/consulting agency. They seem to be having a very difficult time finding staff from all the constant job postings and conversations. It will be beer and wine, no cocktails/spirits.

Looks like they are ready to open the Eastchester store this week. Sign in the window says: Nov. 22ā€¦

1 Like