Barbeque, BBQ, Bar-B-Q [Houston, Texas]

Franklin’s de-throned, but not by Killen’s (which has vowed to).

Up in Dallas, Pecan Lodge, which made the Top 4 last time, doesn’t make the Top 10 this time.

I’ve never even heard of Wolfforth, Tx. But it seems I passed within a few miles last October when I passed through Lubbock twice. Wish I’d known about it then. I was hoping to hit Tyler’s in Amarillo but got through town too late.

In Lockhart, my long time, all time brisket fave Black’s doesn’t make the Top 50; neither does Smitty’s. Well, I haven’t been to either in about 10 years so I guess I can’t argue. Terry Black’s (same family) in Austin does show up.

Brook’s Place in Cypress drops off the list completely.

I have heard only sporadic mentions of Tejas up until Scott Sandlin put it at # 2 (behind Corkscrew, ahead of Killen’s) in his list of Houston’s Top 10 on Houston Food Finder. I guess we’ll be hearing a lot more about it now.

Of the top 10, I have been to Louie Mueller in Taylor, Corkscrew in Spring and Truth, in Brenham - the latter two only once each.

I’m very surprised by Pinkerton’s since it’s only been open since December.

Have you been? Anybody on this board?? Lurkers??? Tell us what you think.

Though they aren’t ranked after the Top 10 each place is given a score. Here are the scores for Houston-area places on the list.

Tejas Chocolate Craftory - Tomball - # 6, score 4.75
Corkscrew - Spring - # 7, score 4.75
Truth - Brenham - # 10, score 4.75

Killen’s - Pearland - score 4.5
Roegel’s - Houston - score 4.5
Pinkerton’s - Houston (Heights) - score 4.25
The Pit Room - Houston - Montrose - score 4.25
Gatlin’s - Houston - near NW - score 4.0

Somehow I’m just seeing this.

If you mean Pinkerton’s, “No, I haven’t been”. My Shaggy brethren seem to love it.

I don’t think my link above is working, so here is TEXAS MONTHLY’S TOP 50 LIST

Of the Top Ten,

I’ve eaten #1 Snow’s dozens of times, and Ms. Tootsie’s BBQ for over forty years. (Both of my parents are from Lexington.)

I stood in line for three hours about five years ago on a Thursday for #2 Franklin. It was excellent, but I wouldn’t do it again.

I’ve eaten at #5 Louis Mueller’s a few times but not in twenty years.

Tried #7 Corkscrew once. I liked the pulled pork better than the brisket.

I like City Market in Luling better than any of the Lockhart places.

I’d like to get to Truth and Tejas soon.

3 Likes

City Market in Luling was my pick for overall best bbq joint - everything was good - brisket, ribs, sausage. I liked Black’s best for brisket, Louie Mueller for sausage. But I haven’t been to any of them in approaching 10 years now.

BTW, saw recently that Edgar Black of Black’s has died. Probably hadn’t been involved in day to day operations in years.

Doubt that I’ll ever get to taste Franklin’s but I guess I should man up and try to make it to Snow’s sometime before I die (or she does).

1 Like

Checked out the ‘new’ location of Gatlin’s on Ella - pulled pork sandwich, spicy link sandwich.

Gatlin’s pulled pork is very good - moist. Wouldn’t have even needed sauce for this except for the very substantial bun. Spicy link very juicy (lots of fat included) and lots of red pepper - very spicy.

Help yourself to condiments (and utensils, napkins, to go boxes, etc.) - I just took pickles and passed on onions and jalapenos; had to get directions to the sauce dispenser which I didn’t recognize.

Per Daniel Vaughan on TMBQQ blog, Gatlin’s gave up their off-set smokers and switched to commercial rotisserie ovens when they abandoned the original location and weren’t willing to spring for the necessary scrubbers to meet city smoke pollution regulations.

Pulled pork was not as good as I remembered but better than what I’ve had at Killen’s. Can’t compare to The Pit Room since that taco was all dressed. Didn’t care for the sauce in conjunction with the pulled pork; should’ve brought this one home and tried with HEB or TJ’s Carolina style sauces.

I think I’ve read the sausage is made locally but not by Gatlin’s. I couldn’t finish but one sandwich ($6.99 each, a lot of meat). Made the mistake of snacking on some of the sausage too close to bedtime and woke up in the middle of the night with what I thought was going to be a fatal case of heartburn.

Very disappointing - pot likker was not much more than pale green tinted water.

New place is in a new strip center; seats 140, almost 20 times the capacity of the original location. There are two cashiers and the worst part of the wait was the woman in front of me having to read the whole menu all the way through each time she ordered something. Lots of employees circulating through the dining rooms to help with bussing, etc. Less than 10 minutes for the food to come out. I was there in the middle of the afternoon, would still recommend avoiding lunch time.

Evaluation … tough. This was ok but wasn’t great bbq. I may be back to try the ribs and brisket sometime (dirty rice is supposed to be their best side) but there’s better bbq in town.

1 Like

The sandwiches look amazing! Is that turnips or mustard greens? I wish more people made mustard greens, turnips are so bitter to me. I go to Treebeard’s for mustard greens and theirs are very memorable. I’ve made them at home many times with the Treebeard’s cookbook.

Collards.

Forgot to include the website link.

It still doesn’t look very big!

Seating capacity 140, per a sign on the wall. Per an interview, seating capacity of the original was 8 (indoors) and 30 (patio/deck).

Through the double doors at the far end of the first room pictured on the home page of the website is another room which probably seats at least twice the first room. The place was very busy but not crowded when I was there.

1 Like

So an acquaintance from another forum, (Jim Buchanan) has left his old job burning meat for Wes Jurena at Pappa Charlie’s and is starting his own place, (Buck’s BBQ) at Lucky’s Pub, 2520 Houston Ave. You may have seen his new location in the news recently as the place into which a white semi trailer floated.

Soooooo anyway, the Grand Opening has been delayed a bit and he’s been doing weekend popups at the newly opened Great Heights Brewing Co., (also members of the aforesaid other forum).

However, THIS weekend he’ll be at Lucky’s Pub West, at Barker Cypress and I-10.

To cut and paste from that thread,

This weekend we’ll be posted up at Lucky’s Pub West (Katy Fwy and Barker Cypress) for the “Halfway to St. Patrick’s Day” celebration being hosted by the Rod Ryan Show. A portion of the proceeds from the event will go the JJ Watt hurricane relief fund. I’ll post a link to the event page in a separate post, but this will be a blowout of epic proportion. Bring your butts to Katy and support the folks who need it most.

So if you’re in the hood, give it a shot. And don’t bother asking if he knows me. He’ll deny it.

:wink:

2 Likes

BBQ joint rankings by Alison Cook in her 2017 Top 100 List (see the full list here)).

Killen’s - # 8 - outranks both Killen’s Steakhouse and Killen’s STQ
Others ranking from 31 -100 (listed alphabetically):
Corkscrew, Gatlin’s, Pinkerton’s, Roegel’s, Tejas,

1 Like

Address is wrong. It’s 17754 Katy Freeway at Barker Cypress.

Read this too late. It’s just as well as I don’t want to ruin my record of not have been west on I-10 at Beltway 8 once in at least 5 years, even though I live in Spring Branch, (a trip to San Antonio/Austin), although I’ve been south and east many times.

Hello buddy Jaymes, I am game for a meet up out there.

This HURTS! (I’ve already had lunch and I’m full) :disappointed:

House-made smoked brisket Ruben (sic) @ Roegels, Thursday special.

5 Likes

I want that sandwich, badly.

I have a rare Thursday off. Anybody game for lunch?

That’s kind of late notice, isn’t it?

(For future reference, it’s about 10:30 pm on Thursday night.)

I went without you but really meant the 21st.

Hey… I’m working that Thursday and all the others Thursdays.

2 Likes