Barbecue 2023

Good old days :sunglasses:

I’ve been to ten, hope to get to a few more this year.

1 Like
2 Likes

Yep, I think it got too trendy and that’s made it less fun and more expensive. What about in your area?

For example on prices, our most famous BBQ town is Lockhart, and I think Smitty’s Market has the best in Lockhart. You can search online and see photos of their menu:

• From 6 years ago: lean shoulder or fatty brisket for $14.90/lb.

• From 4 years ago: $15.90

• 2 years ago: $20.90

• Today: $26.90

That’s outstripping inflation and wage growth.

About Lockhart in particular, though, 20-somethings from Austin have been opening other “trendy” restaurants in that town in a way that feels disrespectful honestly. And the pitmaster/heir at Smitty’s recently died. Perhaps a time of change for the iconic town, one way or another.

3 Likes

We have no exemplary bbq in southern Oregon, at least that I’ve found.
I’m from KC originally, and that’s the source of my screen name.
The PNW is intimately familiar with hipsters overrunning towns, however.
:wink:

2 Likes

i was there about 20 years ago. i think brisket was $12/pound. a bbq buddy pays $5/lb for brisket in texas grocery stores, typically $12/pound in ny.

1 Like

Heritage, admittedly one of the best in SoCal, is $36/lb. for prime brisket.

2 Likes

I’m torn on this TM article. For starters, people in Texas have been tightening their belts for the last several months. Like every where else I suppose. No surprise that $32-$38 pound “craft/prime” brisket was the first to go. I checked out referenced Evie Maes bbq website and that is one high faluting BBQ joint.

I’ll stick with a local place that charges $19.95 per pound for sliced brisket. Is it the best in Texas? I’m no brisket aficionado, but it’s good enough for us.:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

At markets, brisket itself, flat or point, has gotten ridiculously expensive, too. For me, it takes most of the fun out of cooking it.

3 Likes
2 Likes

(Is there a Barbecue 2024 thread?)

1 Like