Bar 56 - Dumbo

We used to spend a lot of time in Dumbo. It was such a cool place to be before all the new condos went in and tourists discovered it. There used to be this giant restaurant offshoot of a Miami place called Sugar Reef. Place was massive. Used to go for boozy lunch on a weekend and listen to music. It never recovered from Covid.

I noticed a new place called Bar 56 had opened up in the same place last year. Finally got back to Dumbo to try it out. The place is half the size of Sugar Reef. Very polished interior.

The wine list was interesting. Very reasonable prices. Lots of things I didn’t know. So I spent a little time talking to the somm and he suggested a Macon-Village. Turned out to be the last bottle they had. The wine was great. Right amount of acidity with a citrusy flavor. Only $55 too. I thought it was quite a bargain.

For those who have read my reviews you know I am bad with pictures. So there will be shots of half eaten plates along with a few composed pictures.

There is a four course prix fixe option. If you choose that, the whole table has to go along. I wanted to try it but the lovely wife was not so hungry so she preferred to go a la carte.

We started with a tuna special. The waitress pitched this hard.

Seared tuna belly in a citrus sauce. Looked pretty but flavor was not that interesting. Yawn.

Then we ordered a starter from the regular menu, hiramasu.

This was spectacular. Rich fish balanced by bits of basil and creamy dollops of a mayo type topping. So good we ordered another.

I had the ravioli with egg. This was nice. But then I love runny egg yolks.

My lovely wife ordered the lobster pasta special. This was outstanding. Some of the best pasta I have tasted in a long time. I only got a taste as she didn’t really want to share.

I had the pork dish. This was the sleeper hit of the night. Pork was tender and flavorful. Even my wife who usually isn’t a big fan of pork thought it was really something else. The house made giardiniera was also a knock out.

We shared a crème brûlée for dessert. Not your traditional version.

The service was outstanding. The staff was friendly and engaging and could not have been more helpful.

9 Likes