[Bangkok] Pork Congee from Jok Prince, Bangrak.

Jok Prince, named after the now-defunct Prince Movie Theatre at Charoenkrung Road in Bangrak, has been operating for over 50 years, dishing out its famous Cantonese-style pork congee with its trademark “burnt” aroma, a result of letting the congee at the bottom of the pot “burn” gently.

The stall fronts a covered alleyway which serves as its dining area.

Minced pork is constantly added into the bubbling cauldron of smooth, white pork congee to cook.

Order a bowl of congee and it’ll be ladled into a bowl and topped with chopped coriander leaves and julienned ginger. A gentle shake of white pepper is all one needs before enjoying the pork congee.

Crisp, golden-fried Chinese crullers (“yutiao” or “yau char kwai”) called “pathongko” in Thai can also be ordered, to be dipped into the congee for a nice textural contrast.

My order included pig’s intestines (one can also opt for other pig organ parts - stomach, liver, kidney, etc.) as it reminds me of the Cantonese “chee cheong chok” in Malaysia/Singapore.

For me, this is one of the must-visit places on any trip to Bangkok - a comforting bowl of warm pork congee to sooth the soul. Most Thai friends I know literally grew up on it.

Address
Jok Prince (โจ๊กปรินซ์บางรัก)
1391 Charoenkrung Rd (across from entrance to Shangri-la Hotel)
Tel: +662 89-795-2629

Operating hours:
Mon-Fri 6am-12 noon, 3pm-10pm
Sat, Sun 6am-10am, 3pm-10pm

BTS Saphan Taksin

8 Likes