[Bangkok] "Khao mun gai" at Ruenton, Montien Hotel Bangkok

Ruenton at the Montien Hotel Bangkok has one of the most famous renditions of “khao mun gai” (Hainanese chicken rice) in Bangkok. More expensive than those one gets in the streets, this luxe hotel rendition nevertheless truly delivers on quality and taste - as it has been doing for nearly 50 years now.

Address
Ruenton Coffeeshop
Montien Hotel Bangkok
54 Surawongse Road
Bangkok 10500, Thailand
Tel: +662233-7060, +662234-8060
Operating hours: 24 hours, but its famous “khao mun gai” is only available from 11am to 10.30pm, daily.

3 Likes

What are the different sauces?

They have a dish of thick, dark soysauce; dark soysauce mixed with minced ginger; dark soysauce mixed with cut red chillis; and one with fermented soybeans (“tau cheo”) mixed with chillis and ginger.

The last dip is typical of Thailand’s Hainanese chicken rice, and not used in Singapore or Malaysia.

2 Likes

2 pieces in dark brown colour on the chicken plate, were they chicken blood?

1 Like

Yes, indeed. But, somehow, the Thais could not get the texture of the chicken blood jelly right here. They don’t have chicken livers, gizzards or intestines, though - something I need to have for my chicken rice meal. Oh well.

That said, I’m told that Montien Hotel Group got their legendary Hainanese chicken rice recipe from Singapore nearly 50 years ago.

1 Like
“Food is a pretty good prism through which to view humanity.”

― Jonathan Gold