Bambi is on the menu. And Arby's has her!

This story broke big in Michigan yesterday.

I’m pretty sure the four restaurants in the state offering it, haven’t ordered enough.

2 Likes

Interesting. Very limited time, limited location test.

Venison is used in sausages year round in Texas and there are places with venison burgers and venison chili, but steaks?

Are you going to be able to sample one and report on it?

1 Like

Forgive my lack of venison knowledge, but it seems raising cow would be more profitable. Why would ranchers prefer to raise deer? I think it is an interesting concept and I’m game to eat venison, but I’m just wondering about the farm raised aspect. Here in NJ we have tons of deer hunting, but nothing farm raised that I know of.

1 Like

That’s sure a thick piece of meat for that kind of sandwich.

2 Likes

Considering how sketchy whatever that compressed meat stuff that they already use is, I can’t imagine what this product is going to be like.

1 Like

The nearest participating Arby’s to me is about 55 miles away. So, I don’t think so. :grinning:

And we all know the “finished product” never, ever looks like the advertising for it! :smirk:

1 Like

With or without horsey sauce?

1 Like

When’s the last time we get a sandwich from fast food chain that actually looks like what they have in the pictures?

2 Likes

Bambi is a dude, just saying.

1 Like

:blush:

Good catch!

It’s been more than a few decades since I watched the movie.

Beef is pretty much a global commodity market these days with beef production across the world impacting local prices. Venison is much more of a niche market and is quite localised and therefore still generates a price premium.

If there is a commercial consumer demand it tends to exhaust the wild venison supply quite quickly hence the opportunity for farming. And remember venison has been captive bred for centuries in Europe with the landed gentry having deer parks on their country estates (for captive hunting).

1 Like

Not appealing. Now Elk, on the other hand, makes wonderful burgers. We have a local place that always has those on the menu. I can find frozen elk patties at my local grocery store too.
I don’t quite get the marketing strategy of trying to sell these to hunters that have just gone out and presumably brought home the real deal. Maybe that’s why Arby’s is a perennial back of the pack player.

2 Likes

I love the idea of more diverse range of meats to eat. In the US at least, it seems most people eat only three animals: cows, pigs and chickens. You’re branded an adventurous eater if you have had lamb, rabbit or pigeon.

2 Likes

According to the Nashville Tennessean, the one store there that had the promotion sold out of their entire stock in one day.

There’s some details in the story about prep and sourcing.

Decent detail in the story. Thanks for posting, Bruce.

Can only sell farm raised venison at retail in US according to US FDA.

There are spongiform encephalopathy and brucellosis concerns with wild.

If you want wild, you gotta get a gun or have friends.

1 Like

Many restaurants in the UK prefer to use farmed venison (and rabbit and pigeon) because they get a consistent product. I buy wild game at the farmers market and it can be tricky as you don’t know how old the animal was and, therefore, how tough it might be.

1 Like