Baklava Crawl, anyone? - Houston

I saw this on Eater Houston and thought it was interesting.

I almost never order desserts when I eat out and I had no idea there were all these variations and permutations. I have eaten at 7 of those places but only had baklava at two - Dimassi’s and Abdallah’s.

But hey, I’ve picked up a box of baklava at Kroger. Why isn’t Kroger on the list?
:yum:

I love the baklava at Empire Turkish Grill, it fairly squirts sweet nectar while remaining sturdy. Good with the Turkish coffee too.

2 Likes

I had the baklava at Dimassi’s recently - they cut the typical diamond shaped piece in half, you get like 2 tsps; it was dry and lacking in nuts. But, it’s a buffet so no extra charge.

Empire sounds great; never been there.

Both Phoenicia and Arpi’s have several kinds available at all times.

Good shtuff.

1 Like

Thanks. I spend so much time browsing at Phoenicia by the time I get back to the bakery/pastry section, my eyes are glazed over. So I remembered to check this out last week and picked up several samples.

Texas/Pecan - on the fence about this one, pecans minced very finely, I got more pecan pie than pecans.

Apple - didn’t care for this one. Might have liked it better fresher but by the time I got to it, it was soggy, there was no crispness left to the pastry. Apple pie or apple fritter are better apple desserts, imo.

Chocolate - home run. Very good chocolate. I want a whole box of these.

I picked up one of these:

IMG_0413

Sha’abiet, sugar free variety - they were out of the regular.

This had some honey, I thought, but the filling was a little strange - curd-like. I was expecting a custardy sort of thing. Any way, not bad otherwise and I’d imagine the one that isn’t sugar free would be better.

I’d never heard of this but found a mention in a Press article 4 years ago about Phoenicia baklava and this apparently is considered a variety of baklava.

Somehow I totally forgot to take pictures of the others and somehow got away from the store without buying a regulation baklava. To be remedied on a future visit. I’ll be standing in the line at the baklava counter on future visits.

Thanks for the rec.

2 Likes

Yep, Phoenicia for baklava. So hard for me to stay away. Also like Fadi’s. But I’m no good for baklava analysis. I love it all. Made it myself for many years. Just buy it now.

That’s sadly the case with a great many labor-intensive dishes.

1 Like

Well I guess eating snow for breakfast is controversial, the comments are closed. I will say I chose the wrong week to leave town.

1 Like

Nah, just merged.

“5 posts were merged into an existing topic: What’s for breakfast (aka what’s going to happen exciting today)?”

It’s because The OysterMan doesn’t put [Houston, Texas] in his thread title so the thread got merged with “What’s for breakfast” in a generic thread instead of standing alone to highlight the rarity of snow in Houston.

2 Likes

Ahem, that’s THE Oyster Man and I didn’t put Houston in the post because I naturally assumed EVERYBODY knows where THE Oyster Man posts.

I don’t want any of my many fans to miss out so it won’t happen again.

1 Like

Yep snow for breakfast even thought the weather service blew it on the forecast discussion I read with predictions of maybe a flake or two but no accumulation.