Baking soda instead of powder

Well, just put a double batch of cranberry orange biscotti into the oven when I realized I used baking soda instead of baking powder. Arghhh.

Nothing really acidic in the ingredients except orange peel. What do you think will happen?

If it fails it’s a big waste of ingredients. sigh.

The texture may suffer a bit or be different than what you’re used to, but they should be fine. The biscotti recipes I use mostly call for baking soda, or a combination of baking powder and baking soda. An orange almond biscotti recipe and a raisin biscotti recipe both call for just baking soda, while a cranberry pistachio biscotti uses both powder and soda. In fact only one biscotti recipe that I have saved uses just baking power, a rosemary walnut biscotti. So again, your biscuits should just fine.

Yes, they are bit crumbly and they browned more but they don’t have any weird after taste so they are okay. I was concerned because it was 3 teaspoons of baking soda instead of powder. But all is well!

Yes, baking soda is often included in recipes because of its ability to promote browning, when most of the actual leavening is via baking powder. You are lucky the biscotti didn’t taste bitter/metallic. The cranberry and orange probably masked the bitter.