Baking Emulsions

This was suggested by the topic I started about box cakes.

Does anyone have experience with baking emulsions?

(I’m confused about some of these products. Most are self-explanatory (such as coconut, lemon, etc.) but some seem to be iterations of the same theme: butter vanilla, sweet dough, cookie butter, etc. I’m going to write to the company & ask what’s the difference between cookie butter & butter vanilla.)

https://www.olivenation.com/search-results?search_query=emulsions

In any case, if you have experience with any of these, I’d be interested to find out.

I avoid them because they tend to be artificial flavors. Here are the ingredients for the blueberry flavor, nothing in it that is blueberry or even flavor as far as I can tell

What are you hoping to accomplish with your cakes?

I’m not against artificial flavors. My attitude towards science in baking is obvious from my box cake thread, which you contributed to.

If you avoid them, fine, but I want to hear from people who have used them.

Of course, so you’re looking for favorites, dosage?

I do use a few of the LorAnn oils and can recommend their pure peppermint, orange, tangerine, lemon, and grapefruit. A little goes a long way with the oils.

I really love lemon. I’ve toyed with the idea of adding lemon oil to a recipe for more oomph.

When you say a little goes a long way, would you add a teaspoon to a recipe that already has lemon juice and lemon zest in it? More? Less?

I’ve written to Olive Nation to ask them to tell me what’s the diff between their cookie dough, butter vanilla, princess cake, and some other emulsion with the same sort of name - they all strike me as much of a muchness. I have a sneaking suspicion that one of these dough boosters is responsible for the wildly popular Subway chocolate chip cookies (which I haven’t tried, but I’ve heard about them).

I probably would not use the blueberry - but I’m with Heidi - I love lemon. I will probably try the lemon emulsion.

“Cookie butter” is a mysterious name. Like “wall brownies” or “duck sand” or “wash flower”, just two words sitting there together and making you wonder why.

1 Like

less, more like 1/4 to 1/2 tsp

Boyajian also makes nice citrus oils

1 Like