Baking board welcome all!

I’ve made Ina Garten’s Spinach and Cheddar Souffle. I always thought that Souffle was super complicated to make because I first saw Julia Child make it and she attended Le Cordon Bleu.
When I saw Ina Garten make it, I decided that I could make it too. I really relate to her she’s so humble and her recipes are tried tested and true, full proof and easy.

The Yorkshire pudding I used a recipe from Joy of Cooking.
P.S.
What kind/type of Souffle have you made?

3 Likes

I love all kinds of baking, but cakes are definitely my favourite thing to make and eat. I’m not sure what I’m most proud of, but I have tackled macarons, croquembouche, gâteau St. Honoré, and a wedding cake, and probably lots of things I can’t even remember! These days I often make simple things at home and save the projects for when I am baking with my 11-year old niece. Pavlova is her favourite thing to make and eat.
My family’s favourite things are classic layer cakes and a raspberry cream cake from a long-closed local cafe that I attempt to recreate every once in a while. We are not big chocolate eaters, except in cakes.

4 Likes

It’s a while ago, lemon souffle is sure, an alcohol one probably a whisky souffle and a savoury cheese souffle (Comté or Emmental). As you said, if the recipe is serious, it’s pretty straight forward, I didn’t fail in my first try.

1 Like

@rwcfoodie , the Chowhound Coconut Tres Leches cake recipe that Chowhound links to is here coconut tres leches cake

3 Likes

Thank you!!!

I most often bake sweets-—cakes, cookies, quick breads, tarts, galettes, the very occasional pie—but also savory quick breads, tarts, and galettes and the occasional yeasted bread. I have enough baking experience that I’m comfortable tweaking recipes and not infrequently do. I don’t have the patience or talent for intricate decoration. I’m the go-to for birthday cakes for family and close friends, and they’re always well-received and appreciated.

As far as most proud of, I suppose it’s a couple of the recipes I’ve developed from scratch that have stood the test of time and gotten lots of compliments, but are also things I worked out because they were things had a particular desire for and managed to get just right: a pear fudge pie I created over twenty years ago, and a very orangey orange almond cake made with marmalade as well as juice and zest. I’m especially pleased that a few other people have made that cake and it worked as well for them.

I’ve been on a baking hiatus that might last until summer, but there sure are a lot of things I look forward to making, and I find there’s always more to learn.

For the past half dozen years or so, I coordinated a baking analog to COTM on Chowhound, where we chose a quarterly (or sometimes four-month) baking book. I’d be happy to do that here in the future, if Hungry Onion bakers are into it.

12 Likes

Greetings, Fellow Bakers.

I’m a decent baker when it comes to sourdough and artisan breads, and have been baking all our daily bread and pizzas for several years. I’m fairly new to sweet baking, beginning with pies about 3 years ago, and recently migrating over to cakes and sweetbreads. Not a big fan of ultra gooey, sugary things, but love a crossover treat between savory and sweet. This year I’ve been focusing on biscuits and scones. My fan base, which includes my husband and my 94-y.o. father, loves quick breads and cookies – an easy please. My personal, recent favorites include things like this cinnamon star bread shown here in slide-show format, an Irish scone and a fruit-laden coffee “cake”. I learned a tremendous amount about baking from the very generous CH community and look forward to continuing to do so here.

13 Likes

Hello! Finally made my way over from CH, where I was also rstuart. I briefly considered picking a more creative name… but decided to stick with the tried and true. I tend to stick to cookies, bars and simple cakes… I especially love Christmas baking.

11 Likes

Nice to see you here. Welcome!

1 Like

Hi there! glad you made it over.

2 Likes

I hope all of you can guess what my favorite thing to bake is :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Love?

2 Likes

Well I do bake with lots of love :slight_smile:

1 Like

My mother always told me," If you don’t cook with love then the food won’t taste good". Same holds true for baking.

3 Likes

You know, I’ve found this to be true! When I’m not in the mood to cook, or I’m trying to hurry too much, my food doesn’t taste as good, even if I put the same stuff in. Fortunately, I used to be in the mood a lot! Just as fortunately, my H is now developing his love of cooking, and he’s good at it. I’m trying to approach it as I once did. I’ll get there, hopefully. This applies to baking too, of course.

1 Like