Bakeries in SF

Try their Morello cherry drink or their Too Good to be True (butterscotch) drink

1 Like

In all seriousness, whatā€™s special about Craftsman and Wolves?

I spent a lot of money there one afternoon and wasnā€™t happy with a single thing that I ordered and I sampled a lot. What does everyone like about C&W, so that I can give them another chance?

(I had the beef Stroganoff from Cinderella for lunch today btw)

They have really cool display cases ā€¦

I guess they are trying to be all innovative and modern. Itā€™s not going to work for everyone.

Some of their items are better looking than in execution. But yeah, overall their compositions and flavors just arenā€™t for me either-- itā€™s more an issue of matching what I like than skill. I do like their, not always present, chocolate carrot muffin.

1 Like

Iā€™d add Marla to the list also - they have nice seating area outside at the back if itā€™s a sunny day
and close to Outerlands and the beach so it could be an excursion
Arsicault does have mezzanine seating but when I was there a couple of months ago they only had drip coffee and Iā€™m not a fussy coffee person but still thought it wasnā€™t all that great. I do think their croissants and Pain au chocolat are good - and Iā€™ve lived in France for 10 yrs - but worth waiting 15mins in line not 45 !

arsicaults line moves quite quickly and the staff is quite efficient. In contrast tartine lines moves at a glacial place.

iā€™ve realized that the lines are not bad first thing in the morning when it opens and after 11:00 am or so on weekdays

lobo

Ditto for Brioche Bakery. Also a fan of their chicken pot pie. One of the best values in N.B. Love their brioche wedges.

I think the OP had a great list to begin with. Yeah so sorry, I do love Craftman & Wolves. It works just fine for meā€“flavors, etc. No, I donā€™t love everything they make, but I certainly donā€™t find it ā€œsoul-less.ā€ Itā€™s comfortable and the staff is very friendly. I havenā€™t encountered any snootiness.

I would give a far stronger endorsement of Thorough Bread than has been noted here. They make a large variety of danishes and finer pastries and breads, and itā€™s overall outstanding. Their baguettes for me are the best in SF and extremely cheap! I have a huge amount of respect for Michel Suas (who, BTW, is a partner in b. patisserie).

I donā€™t see Butter Love Bakeshop mentioned. Their pie is to die for. Much better pie than that place in the Mission. http://www.butterlovebakeshop.com/

2 Likes

I am quite fond of the scones at Arizmendi.

1 Like

Vive la Tarte (SoMa) makes a deadly cheesecake and a really good broccoli, fennel & bacon quiche.

Neighbor Bakehouse
Char siu croissant, savory pullapart, pistachio blackberry croissant and guava strawberry pastelita. I was driving by and there was a parking spot right in front so I was obligated to stop.

2 Likes

@TVHilton They had a We support Ukraine sign in the windowā€¦I also love this placeā€¦the rye bread is also delicious

2 Likes

Yes, I have noticed and appreciated that. Not too many of those among the various Eastern European shops on Geary, either because of pro-Russian sentiment or because they just donā€™t want to offend half of their customers.

Moscow-Tbilisi also has a very nice borscht in quart containers. Sometimes Iā€™ll pick up some borscht and a couple piroshkis for a hearty and not too expensive meal for two.

1 Like

arsicaults line moves quite quickly and the staff is quite efficient. In contrast tartine lines moves at a glacial place.
iā€™ve realized that the lines are not bad first thing in the morning when it opens and after 11:00 am or so on weekdays

The McAllister & Leavenworth branch of Arsicault has much shorter lines (and sometimes no line at all), in my experience. I go there sometimes on days when Iā€™m at the office (just a quick Muni Metro ride away), and havenā€™t braved the Arguello location in ages.

1 Like

Thereā€™s a few on Geary, like Royal. I remember Cinderella but theyā€™re on Balboa. Use to live in the Richmond.

Generally speaking that stretch of Geary is one of the most interesting in SF food-wise. Russian, Irish, Chinese, Vietnamese, Moroccan, BBQ, Mexican, Italianā€¦.too much to name, remember.

1 Like