Bakeries and Pâtisseries in the [Greater Toronto Area], 2024 Edition

Candybar cake from Coco’s in Little Italy. Chocolate hazelnut filling.

Very moist. A good layer cake.

2 Likes

As part of our swing into the west today, we hit a couple of patisseries also. First up was Fleur de Jour on St. Clair. We sampled the almond croissant, which was buttery, flakey, and covered with an almond cream. They had many other tempting viennoiserie, including one covered with candied blood orange.

Closer to our destination was Noctua. We were aiming to try their churro croissant, but alas it wasn’t available. So we went with their caramelized onion, za’atar, and cheese brioche, which was tasty, but would have been better warmed up to remelt the cheese.

4 Likes

Kouign Amann and a raisin swirl from Gouter for breakfast. Oink :pig:

2 Likes

Forno Cultura’s Zeppoli di San Giuseppe. San Giuseppe Day is March 19th.

2 Likes

Ahh, they are back. Must get some.

1 Like

I was hoping to try on from several places but that didn’t work out yesterday.

Alimentari on Roncy has one this year, too.

2 Likes

We enjoyed Emmer’s sourdough focaccia with sea salt yesterday. It is heavy on the olive oil. Very moist. Delicious this morning, as well.

1 Like

I wonder if STOCK T.C will carry these? they look tempting :smiley:

1 Like

Stock’s Zeppole di San Giuseppe on IG

2 Likes

Woohoo!!! Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Big bakery tour day today.

I hit:

Castle & Coal
Hot cross buns

Photo of rhubarb Kouign Amann at Castle and Coal that I didn’t buy.

I also purchased the rhubarb-topped panna cotta and Tiramisu. Both were delicious .

Robinson bread to try the hot cross buns but they were sold out. This is what was available. Busy place.

Dipped Donuts where I tried the egg and cheese breakfast sandwich. (Okay, not to my taste)

Donuts at Dipped (I didn’t buy them today)

Kitten and the Bear Mini Egg Scones (didn’t buy)

Bricolage where I picked up half a load of milk bread and 2 cheese tarts

The croissants at Bricolage

Bakery Pompette for 2 Crème Caramel

I didn’t buy my favourite cookies today but here they are:

Croissants at Bakery Pompette (didn’t buy)

Blackbird Baking Company in Kensington for 2 Not Cross Buns and their Dillionaire dip.

The Not Cross Buns were lighter texture than the Castle & Coal hot cross buns. The Not Cross Buns seemed slightly stale by the time I are them around 5 pm. They probably would be better toasted.

4 Likes

If you’re into these - my favourite in the city is at a tucked away Kensington Market bakery called 84 Nassau. From the main Augusta strip, walk a block west down Nassau (past Film Cafe/corner Gelato shop) a bit into the residential and you’ll spot it.

Minimal seating inside though, so maybe tag it for a food tour or nice weather day.

Bonus: Also my favourite croissants in KM.

3 Likes

Yes, I like their coffee! Nice people!

Good to know about their Kouign Amann. I usually stop by around 3 pm for a coffee on Sundays, and they often only have plain croissants left .

I was chasing the Kouign Amann dragon for a while, from 2008 when I first tried it, until around 2015. I don’t order it too much lately. I go through phases. :slightly_smiling_face:

I like rhubarb stuff! :slightly_smiling_face:

We have an awesome Kensington Market report [Toronto] thread here. I’ll link your comment about 94 Nassau.

When I’m going for a coffee and pastry in Kensington Market, my favourite place is Fika. I love their kannelbullar and sunshine buns.

3 Likes

This is a spinach and artichoke brioche with sesame at Balzac’s. I didn’t ask who supplies them. I liked it a lot. $4.75 before tax.

2 Likes

Looks so tasty!! which balzac’s did you go to?

1 Like

Powerhouse near Davenport and Lansdowne. Very quiet. Nice space.

Never been… will have to check it out!

1 Like

Our next pick from Pretty Little Layers was Tropical Paradise: Mango Passionfruit Coconut - mango mousse layered with fresh mango pieces, mango passionfruit cremeux and a coconut dacquoise. It was wonderful - moist, light, a bit like a tiki cocktail in cake form.

3 Likes

1 Like

I visited Janchenko’s in Bloor West Village today.

I tried slices of their Esterhazy torte, mocha buttercream, bishop torte and one other torte containing chocolate and buttercream. I liked all the tortes.

I also purchased pierogies and potato pancakes

And a box of chocolate- covered candies from Lviv.

I wanted to try Karpatka, a cake named after the Carpathian mountains. It didn’t seem to be available today. I’ll try again.

I’ll be back to try more things, including poppyseed roll and more savoury items. They have a hot table. Janchenko’s has also opened a Ukrainian restaurant a block to the west called Marusya’s Kitchen.

2 Likes