Baked cheese onion dip - yellow or white instead of vidalia?

This screams for a blind taste test! (I’m not doing it but someone should - Top Chef challenge?).

Name the onion - raw, sautéed, carmelized … white,yellow, Spanish, vadalia …

I would be up for it. I think the discrepancies online are because some are talking about raw and others cooked. I think there might be a lot of onions in my future.

I remember seeing a bottle of onion juice in the galley/kitchen of a boat I was on many years ago … I googled onion juice and found this article.

“Try it. What you get isn’t so much juice as a thickish pulp, and it’s charged with flavor, right up there (almost) with finely minced raw garlic. As soon as I dipped a finger in it, I had to mix it up with some butter and eat it on toast. I surely breathed fire for an hour afterwards, a small price to pay for something so deliciously potent. This stuff is definitely not for kids.”

http://markbittman.com/who-the-hell-uses-onion-juice/

I think I’ve actually seen that in stores…Gosh darn Amazon prime I might own it soon, it sounds delicious

The description in quotes is of onion pulp/juice that Mark Bittman extracted from a fresh onion … he was not impressed with the juice

I’d go with yellow onion. Plus keep in mind that the small you chop onions, the more stronger they taste. I would do a small chop, and then also grate some onion into the mix too. The grated onion will add more bite than the chopped onion, which is more for texture.

In Indian cooking, it’s pretty common to have onions in different forms in the same dish, since they add a different type of flavor.

1 Like

I did a fine dice last week but grating sounds like a great idea!

Yea, I realized that after my initial excitement having remembered I saw onion juice then reading the article and reviews. It seems it’s popular for hair loss.

Lol … ew
Are you going to try scraping the onion as he did?

Yup, similar to the other suggestion to grate the onion.

1 Like

See if you can find some of those bulbous long “spring onions” at the farmers market. They look like crazy scallions. Raw they pack a lot of flavor in that doesn’t have the harsh acidic bite of some raw onion. And the greens make a nice more mild addition for a garnish or something else.

1 Like

So…I tried Saturday and Sunday with white onion and yellow onion, respectively. They all tasted the same :slight_smile:

I learned the hard way not to use Vidalia or other sweets when caramelizing. There’s not much oniony goodness by the time you’re finished. But I amped them up with garlic powder and balsamic vinegar. Yellows can vary in bite from sweet to acrid. Taste after chopping. If too sharp, use an ice water bath for an hour or two before using them raw.

Perhaps a triple threat using the chopped onion, onion juice from grating an onion, and some dehydrated onion in combination with less of the dairy is the way to get to the potency you are looking for…

Yea I’m thinking the flavor is being diluted by the spinach and dairy. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not bad (I’ve eaten this dip probably 5 times in the past 2 weeks) but definitely not overwhelmingly oniony.

Do you ever make cashew cream? I’m thinking that using cashew cream instead of the dairy would be a delicious and worthy experiment to see how much the dairy cuts the onion flavor.
Basically just soak raw cashews overnight and then drain, blend with a good splash of water and decent pinch of salt, maybe some lemon juice, adjust amount of water to get the texture you prefer. Keeps well in the fridge a few days- and can be used for lots of other recipes too

I’ve had it before as a sauce. Two issues 1) I have a nut self control issue so they don’t enter my house 2) my GI tract hates cashews despite my love :slight_smile: but otherwise that would be a good idea. I have some Kite Hill cream cheese which might be worth trying since I need to use it anyway.