Bake your bread, make your desserts 2020

I sliced the loaf about 6 hrs after baking. Love my bread knife but think any knife would have been fine - just an easy slicing loaf. I then wrap every 2 slices in plastic wrap, into a plastic bag and freeze. Keeps well for us as we don’t go thru a loaf before it stales.
This is a link to my bread and tomato knife:
https://www.amazon.com/Tojiro-Bread-Slicer-235mm-F-737/dp/B001TPA816/ref=sr_1_35?dchild=1&keywords=Bread+knife&qid=1587142863&sr=8-35

1 Like

I looked online but don’t see her wonderbread recipe online:(
Think we aren’t supposed to copy recipe here. The recipe is a bit dif as you make a cooked paste of milk and flour that is added to the other ingredients. Also calls for malted milk powder, which I love and why I tried this recipe.

1 Like

My wife is attempting to bake bread. After 37 yrs of marriage I’m staying out of the kitchen

6 Likes

Very VERY wise.

3 Likes

No bread in the house so I started a loaf on no knead bread yesterday and baked it today. Still letting it cool so no crumb pic yet. For anyone trying to make bread, this is so easy. The hardest part is wrangling the wet dough into a ball. I use a basket for the final rise and dump it from the basket right into the blazing hot pot.

16 Likes

Maida Heatter’s Colorado Cowboy cookies, essentially a chocolate chip oatmeal cookie. It also calls for walnuts or pecans, but I didn’t have either so I just doubled the amount of chocolate chips.

3 Likes

Berry cherry pie! Blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, dark cherries and tart cherries - all frozen from last summer. Delicious! This time I took before and after pics. Always looks neater before I bake it.

21 Likes

What gorgeous latticework on that crust. Impressive!

2 Likes

That lattice is PERFECTION. And I love the combination of fruit you used, too. Looks succulent!

2 Likes

So beautiful - you’re a gifted baker @Elsieb! Probably tastes even better than it looks, yum! Would love a piece for breakfast.

3 Likes

That is an amazing piece of art, and what a mix of berries!

I’ve found it easier if I weave the lattice on a flat sheet pan, chill it then lift slide in one piece onto the pie. Whenever I tried forming lattice on the pie the strips always got berry goo on them. It is a very tasty pie. Only 2 of us here so sorry I can’t offer breakfast pieces!

8 Likes

This is such a great tip! Thank you!

1 Like

I’m crushing on everyone’s no-knead bread. The bread my finally get me to spring for a Dutch oven.

Would you mind sharing what the capacity is of the ovenproof pot you used for this luscious loaf?

It’s a Staub 24, which the internet says is 3.3 quarts. Fits a large single loaf perfectly.

2 Likes

Irish soda bread, from a Rose Levy Berenbaum recipe. You add raisins soaked in Irish whiskey to a regular soda bread dough, then use some of the leftover booze to make whiskey butter for spreading.

3 Likes

Now, how could that be bad? :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I’ve the same staub! Perfect size for no knead bread recipe.

1 Like

Homemade sticky buns for breakfast. Baking therapy.

9 Likes

Could someone hear point me to the best no-knead bread recipe? I’d love to incorporate some rye or whole wheat flour… I do have in an enameled cast iron.