Bake your bread, make your desserts 2020

Thanks. I have been working on bread baking. I used to bake bread BRICKS so my successes are satisfying. Here’s the recipe:

1 Like

If you like butter, boy is this the cake for you. Sneakingly rich. Must have black coffee or strong black tea with it.

4 Likes

Made the no knead bread again, this time using Almost No-Knead Bread 3.0 from American Test Kitchen.

I used a mixed flour this time and with beer and vinegar added, the bread was less good looking compared to last time, it was flatter, but taste wise it nearly as good as a good one from shop. I would use a beer more natural taste next time.

This mixed flour included wheat, spelled, buckwheat rye, oats and roasted malted barley oats flour. The grains included sunflower, sesame, brown linen, yellow linen. I recommend this flour, that one can find in Carrefour. There is even a recipe on the package for those who can read French.

4 Likes

Recipe advice, please? Any suggestions from the experienced bread bakers on this board about the best loaf to make? I want to bake a delicious loaf of bread for a cheese plate and salad dinner this upcoming weekend. My available supplies and equipment are listed below.

In the house, I have King Arthur Organic All-Purpose Flour, King Arthur Organic Whole Wheat Flour, and a (precious!) packet of instant yeast. I don’t have a Dutch oven but I do have a lovely baking stone and a convection oven.

I don’t mind kneading bread or multiple rises.

It’s just that yeast is like gold at the moment and I don’t want to squander what I have.

1 Like

I would check out Alexandra’s Kitchen site and her bread recipes.

2 Likes

I think that you are really looking for a nice bread with a good crust, right? If not, my most consistent and regular bread is this sandwich bread. I usually do about a 1/3ish of whole wheat and half the butter. https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/classic-sandwich-bread-recipe

If you are looking for a nice crusty loaf, I’d suggest a no knead prep. I like the proprtions by the new York times. Good luck and post pics!

If you have a stock pot that goes in the oven, it can be used upside down as a cover to trap humidity and to shape the form your bread on your baking stone, then you can try the famous no knead bread.

1 Like

You know it! A crusty, rustic loaf is what I’m after. I like the idea of the NYT no-knead bread though I don’t have the Dutch oven or a suitable oven-proof pot.

At this point, I think I remember a Marcella Hazan recipe from “Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking” I used to use. Been forever since I last baked bread. I’m going to look that up.

Alas, my stockpot is not oven-proof. So I don’t think I can do the no-knead recipe.

A few chocolate Easter goodies

16 Likes

Yes! The olive oil bread from Marcella Hazan! Easy, fast and tasty. Very crusty.

2 Likes

I can’t recall if I have posted a brownie recipe but my niece requested anything chocolate and she is finishing her home schooling year at our place.

I read about this recipe on IG last week and used the super fresh cardamom from Burlap and Barrel along withSB’s espresso and vanilla bean paste. Super fudgy.

9 Likes

They are very festive! Talent!

2 Likes

I do no knead in glass bowls or pyrex. generously buttered. the crust is great.

4 Likes

I just looked at my copy of “Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking.” The olive oil bread (Mantovana) that you suggest shares a lot of characteristics with Marcella’s pane integrale, which is the bread I remember baking on the regular. Boosts my confidence!

The olive oil bread will be my plan this weekend. Thank you.

3 Likes

Oooh, how promising. I’m going to have to try this idea when flour is easier for me to come by, in case I don’t do so well on my first try. Flour is waaayy less expensive than the Dutch oven I’m eyeing.

1 Like

The Ken Forkish book has a fair amount of technique in it, but an overnight loaf only requires 1/8 teaspoon of yeast. If you’re wanting to make it stretch.

1 Like

@naf doing the second rise in a parchment-lined sieve helps the shape stay more boule-like for a softer no-knead dough.

Gorgeous loaf! I’ve been holding off on baking (because I’ll eat half the loaf in a day, lol) but I am so tempted by your pic!

1 Like

@rooster cardamom coffee is my jam!

2 Likes

Thanks, will try this next time.

You’re right! We ate 3/4 of the loaf within 3 hours out of the oven.

2 Likes