Bake your bread, make your desserts 2020

Thank you for sharing many tips.

A Basics with Babish recipe for coffee cake. If you enjoy crumb, buttery versions. One loaf without the sheet tray size commitment. Used Siggi vanilla yogurt in place of full fat sour cream in order to use up container. Worked well. Nice with java.

5 Likes

Very well explained! Thanks for sharing the ice cube tip and your recipe.

I’ve divided the starter into parts, one part to make a milk starter for croissants, brioches and pastries.

I like that ice cube idea! My bread comes out super crusty from the dutch oven, I will have to experiment on seeing if it gets even more so.

Fresh sourdough loaf straight from the oven. Perfect for a cool windy day.

This loaf was 400 g a/p flour, 100 whole grain flour, 350g water, 85 g starter, and 12 g salt. Folded it several times over its four hour rise (on a hot pad since the kitchen was cold), shaped, rested in its basket in the frig overnight. Heated up the Dutch oven at 500 for 45 mins. Dropped in the bread and scored it (still not very good at this) added a bit of water, lid on for 20 mins, lid off for another 20 minutes. Resting now.

6 Likes

My wife is from South Africa, so she likes to sometimes make South African desserts. They have a candy bar called Peppermint Crisp which is often used to make a type of fridge tart. The bar was never available in the US, probably due to the fact that the dye used to turn the center a brilliant Kelly green wasn’t allowed here. They can now be imported here, so I guess they changed the dye. I love Peppermint Crisp tart (had it in SA, and in the US made by people who smuggled the bars in), so as soon as they became available I bought 5 bars plus the cookies used in the tart, Tennis Biscuits (light tea biscuit with coconut). (African Hut outside of San Diego is our supplier.) You layer the Tennis biscuits with whipped cream that has caramel/dulce de leche and crushed candy bars folded in, then top the whole thing with plain whipped cream. So sweet and so good.

3 Likes

That sounds delish! It’s taken me a long time to realize that you can substitute lots of food items that you have on hand, and still make amazing food. And the cookie and whipped cream idea is always soooo tasty!

Peanut butter cookie batter; baking tomorrow. Fix and Fogg brand “everything peanut butter” and JIF creamy pb mixed.

That’s a good idea to mix one day, and bake the next. What exactly is in “everything peanut butter?”

Lots of nuts and seeds churned in.

1 Like

This is a Flour Bakery recipe. I just did my own pb mix up but it results in enough dough that I baked off one batch and froze two for later.

2 Likes

They look scrumtious! What is this “later” you speak of?

1 Like

When I made up the cookie dough yesterday, I chilled one batch worth and baked it this morning. Then, I wrapped the rest of the dough; divided into two separate batches and froze them for the next time we want pb cookies.

Gorgeous!

1 Like

Another attempt at a small Pullman loaf.

This time the dough rested in the fridge for a bit longer than expected, so I wasn’t sure what to expect. But - after a longer than expected rise to almost the top of the pan, it was fine.

Very chewy this time - and tangy. Very close to what I’m trying to get to. Just needs to a bit lighter in texture. Maybe I’ll try a wetter dough and 2d fridge rest next

Loving this little square loaf pan - it’s 6-8 slices, which are easy to deal with as I’m experimenting. Realized the nonstick interior is causing the light crust.

4 Likes

Very nice. I love the tang.

Yeah I was surprised, till one of the kids took a bite and said yeah that’s what the original bread tastes like… phew.

It’s good when there is external validation :joy:

Now for the lightness of texture…

2 Likes

Oh yeah, my 6 yr old side kick has become quite the reviewer.

1 Like

Isn’t it hilarious and adorable?

I trust the litte one’s palate the most - he’s spot on usually.

1 Like

Absolutely. Now he wants to bake and his sister is already pulling my sleeve for bread baking dates. He never misses a guitar lesson.

1 Like