Bake your bread, make your desserts 2020

Baked two loaves of GF sandwich bread yesterday - meant to make 1, but I read the wrong column in my spreadsheet and doubled the wet ingredients…

BUT

I’m running out of the dry ingredients, so a bit of mix and match vs my usual proportions.

Luckily the loaves still turned out well.

It’s the recipe from Alexandra cooks, but not using GF AP (which I find inconsistent and somewhat tasteless and gummy) - I mix brown rice and millet (jowar) flours, with a little tapioca and cornstarch for texture. Also, psyllium husk powder was a game changer - none of the after-texture of xanthan.

4 Likes

I ordered and received one of those knives, as pictured last week. Thanks again for the mention and link. Haven’t used it yet though, but think it will do a fine job @Saregama.

1 Like

Blackberry cobblers - one for each kid, one for the owner of the vines, and one for us. Yum, can’t wait for dessert tonight!

Scones with raspberry and blackberry jams. H made everything, but the jam, but he helped with the blackberry jam.

Oh, meant to say this was breakfast this am. Tasty too.

10 Likes

Wow, they look so delicious. Your berry haul has me missing a local berry farm that closed years back. My son and I used to go together and pick raspberries and blackberries; a truckload each year. We had a ball.

2 Likes

Very gratifying, isn’t it? Sorry your berry farm is no longer. We’re losing a lot in this area due to growth and increased housing developments @Rooster.

1 Like

After months of baking, my Aunt has shared her prized pineapple cake with cream custard frosting with us. Growing up, this was the family comfort cake on every celebration table. It’s incredibly moist and full of sugar, butter, cream cheese, buttermilk, eggs, custard powdered and how she used up fresh pineapple when it got too ripe. Everyone who knows my Aunt has eaten this cake. Looks like a very typical 9x13 cream cheese cake…but its so much more.

7 Likes

Sounds fantastic @Rooster, wonder if Covid is getting people to cough up their secret recipes lol :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Whatever her reason, I’m worthy! is what my sister said. Lol. I’m having a big slice for dinner!

2 Likes

Wow - that looks great!

And as a bonus, reading the recipe made me look up how to make oat milk (as if I bought a half gallon I’ll never use it) and saw how easy it was to make! Fun!

1 Like

5 Likes

Birthday cake for a friends 5 year old daughter. She loves pink, so it’s strawberry buttercream on vanilla cake.

15 Likes

Most beautiful @Babette! Am sure it tastes wonderful as well.

1 Like

How nice to see your talents!

1 Like

It’s even better tasting them @Rooster, @Babette knows her stuff, and is a master with flavor combinations. As well as beautiful end results.

Aw shucks. Daddy is a chef, so this kid is already spoiled! But yeah, there’s strawberry ganache between the layers and silky Swiss meringue buttercream, all real butter of course. Friend sent video, birthday girl was happy.

6 Likes

I recall her chocolates!

1 Like

I made these a few weeks ago, just for giggles. It’s too hot in my kitchen to do serious production but I wanted a challenge. Ideal room temp would be 60-65f, when it’s 75+, they go into the fridge between every step. It was 80-85 today, even buttercream is a challenge :crazy_face:

12 Likes

Oooh - I want that cake!

And I love the plate - but then I love retro china :grin:

1 Like

Those are beauties!

1 Like

Hope you like it! Watch out, it’s sharp… my hands have random nicks sometimes :joy:

1 Like