Bake your bread, make your desserts 2020

I had a 1/2 cup of pumpkin puree left and literally made up a recipe that turned out like a soft bar cookie kinda thing that I later enjoyed with vanilla yogurt.

4 Likes

Thanks! I ran across that article in my research. I didn’t go with the recipe though, because the quantities were massive. 5 lbs of flour for starters…!

A picture of my Valentine gifting haul from Babette’s shop. Everything is absolutely delicious! Happy Valentines Day all :heart:

17 Likes

Fantastique !!!

1 Like

Ah hah! Be happy that I am a pack rat and did not clean out my cookbooks…

Your description rang a bell and I thought I had made a recipe like that from “Beard on Bread.” Hunted, found the cookbook and yes! Portuguese Sweet Bread. Off for a walk now, will post recipe when I return.

2 Likes

Mrs. P made black olive cake with orange zest and fresh basil ice cream topped with date honey and orange zest for Valentine’s Day😋 It went great with a 10 year old port.

6 Likes

Apologies for the delay - I was away so long the website would not let me edit my orig. post.

Anyhoo, I really liked the James Beard’s version of the sweet bread but doing some online research, some folks did not. Here’s a King Arthur flour one, that got excellent reviews.

And here’s someone who DID make the James Beard version, with great pics. They had a problem with a slow rise, I did not (maybe cuz my kitchen is warm.)

I made mine as small individual rolls, loved being able to grab one as a snack.

Huffington Post leads me to this recipe - I hope this is the one for you!

http://portuguesediner.com/tiamaria/bolos-levados-portuguese-muffins/

While not the most consistent sliced cookie shape, the combo of lemon zest and cornmeal in the mix made for a delicious shortbread. Moist inside, sublime crunch outer texture. Found the recipe in an old magazine at my Aunts place.

10 Likes

Wow … Extraordinary.

Truly like the idea of a Savory dessert with black olives …

2 Likes

How did I miss that creation. Wow is right.

2 Likes

Thank you @Barca and @Rooster! Yes, we like the combination of savory and sweet.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

1 Like

All bread sold out a market yesterday -> Today’s loaf. Needs must.

10 Likes

Beautiful! Can I have the recipe please?

Stunning! Is that the Jim Lahey no-knead?

1 Like

I found your recipe when did a search, sorry for the repeated question asked by others already, but I’m a newbie in bread. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Cool. I was waiting for a quiet moment tomorrow to respond. This loaf is truly idiot bread. Not sourdough, and I apologize for that, but is is a great sweet French-type bread. Please let me know if you want more input.

2 Likes

Can’t do more complex bread, as no room in the fridge for the rest. I’m making your no knead bread today and see how it goes tomorrow.

1 Like

Made this lime curd pie yesterday.

Very good. Although a bit regret to have made it at a time that supplies are scare (Need to queue up long time to even enter supermarket, not to talk about possible empty shelves). The recipe uses a lot of butter, I think it will be difficult to make a second dessert this week… with only 125g (4.4oz) of unsalted butter left. Maybe will combine with salted butter…to make a rhubarb tart…

By the way, l’ve some pork fat or lard, is it possible to substitute butter?

4 Likes

Many folks actually prefer lard to butter for pie crusts!
Heres’s a recipe (I haven’t tried it but it looks good : )

2 Likes
“Food is a pretty good prism through which to view humanity.”

― Jonathan Gold