Bake your bread, make your desserts 2020

This is the one he used:

1 Like

Hooray! I so wanted to ask but didn’t want to be too beggy. But now I have it! Woo hoo!

Weekend savory snacks, here we come :yum:

1 Like

Don’t do it @Saregama - just have a couple squares of dark chocolate, a small handful of walnuts, close your eyes and pretend. :upside_down_face: Find myself with the double whammy of a primal hunger after having no appetite for so long, as well as wanting to eat for comfort and stress relief through these weird times. The brownies ticked all the boxes for my cravings, and I’m not even much of a chocolate fan. Until recently, I guess… hope you’re doing well - I know it’s hard to be away from home for a lot longer than expected, but I’m happy you are where you are. Your family is reaping the benefits of your presence too!

2 Likes

My thanks too, I have it saved. Never made them before, but your pictures looked fantastic.

1 Like

Post pics! :slight_smile:

Thank you @Lambchop for your kind sentiments. It’s hard, and it comes in waves, but there’s also gratitude for being with family and in relative safety and isolation. So many emotions. Those brownies would definitely help, lol.

BUT - you should try date balls. The kids are gaga over them, and they are a pretty good chocolate / brownie with nuts substitute - and definitely healthier (if you don’t eat 6 at one go… being around kids constantly is reminding me of the need to be very specific about these things :joy:)

On the dessert front, I tried to make water chocolate mousse yesterday and failed for the first time. No electric whisk, interrupted four times by various child related things, and then I just gave up and ate a few spoons of essentially ganache and satisfied myself.

3 Likes

Baking is normally the domain of the missus but hey things are different now. She was busy sorting out the wardrobes so I made her homemade granola which beats any granola you can buy hands down.
Here is the recipe if anyone is interested.
Granola

350g jumbo rolled oats

Or

175g jumbo rolled oats

175g choice of grain (eg, spelt, barley or rye flakes )

250g choice of nuts roughly chopped (any nuts incl coconut flakes)

50g choice of seeds (eg pumpkin, sunflower, chia, cacao nibs)

40g choice of oil (eg coconut, olive, sunflower (just not butter))

120ml choice of syrup (eg honey, agave, maple, golden)

½ tbsp flaked salt

1 generous pinch choice of ground nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger or cardamom (optional)

1 large egg white

80-100g choice of dried fruit (eg sour cherries, pineapple, apple, apricots, dates (or chocolate chips etc))

Heat the oven (mine is a fan oven) to 150C for pale granola to 160C for more toasted

Tip your rolled oats and other grains (if you have them) in a large bowl add & mix the seeds & nuts

Melt together the oil and syrup on a low heat, stir occasionally

Pour the warm mixture over the grains and mix well, add a pinch of salt and spices (if using any)

Beat the egg white until it forms soft peaks, add to the mixture and mix very well

Line a tray baking tray with grease proof paper, tip the mixture in and spread out.

Bake for 30 – 35 minutes, stir two or three times during cooking maybe more if baking at the hotter temp. Also keep an eye on your nuts.

Let it cool down completely before adding the dried fruit, combine gently, store in an airtight container

11 Likes

When I make granola I add raw wheat germ which is a good source of iron. I did this originally for my middle daughter who was a granola fiend & chronically anaemic.

1 Like

Much thanks~ Will be trying these today :smile:

1 Like

Lemon tart with almond shortbread crust for dessert last night. Really good, and served with whipped cream.

12 Likes

Made the whole wheat version of bravetart’s wonderbread. It’s a good loaf for sandwiches and toast. Not sure what the dif would have been if I had not forgotten the honey - all measured out but unnoticed until loaves were in the oven. Still, delicious but I’ll have to try again to see what the honey adds.

9 Likes

I wanna see your bread knife! Those slices are amazing. :star_struck:

4 Likes

Recipe please?? :slight_smile: I made a loaf yesterday and used honey and coconut oil because I’m down to my last 2 sticks of butter and got scared! No major noticeable differences except it smells like coconut when it is toasting which is cool.

2 Likes

I sliced the loaf about 6 hrs after baking. Love my bread knife but think any knife would have been fine - just an easy slicing loaf. I then wrap every 2 slices in plastic wrap, into a plastic bag and freeze. Keeps well for us as we don’t go thru a loaf before it stales.
This is a link to my bread and tomato knife:
https://www.amazon.com/Tojiro-Bread-Slicer-235mm-F-737/dp/B001TPA816/ref=sr_1_35?dchild=1&keywords=Bread+knife&qid=1587142863&sr=8-35

1 Like

I looked online but don’t see her wonderbread recipe online:(
Think we aren’t supposed to copy recipe here. The recipe is a bit dif as you make a cooked paste of milk and flour that is added to the other ingredients. Also calls for malted milk powder, which I love and why I tried this recipe.

1 Like

My wife is attempting to bake bread. After 37 yrs of marriage I’m staying out of the kitchen

6 Likes

Very VERY wise.

3 Likes

No bread in the house so I started a loaf on no knead bread yesterday and baked it today. Still letting it cool so no crumb pic yet. For anyone trying to make bread, this is so easy. The hardest part is wrangling the wet dough into a ball. I use a basket for the final rise and dump it from the basket right into the blazing hot pot.

16 Likes

Maida Heatter’s Colorado Cowboy cookies, essentially a chocolate chip oatmeal cookie. It also calls for walnuts or pecans, but I didn’t have either so I just doubled the amount of chocolate chips.

3 Likes

Berry cherry pie! Blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, dark cherries and tart cherries - all frozen from last summer. Delicious! This time I took before and after pics. Always looks neater before I bake it.

21 Likes