Bahr(f)s Highlands Lobtober Oktoberfest

How did I get dragged into this!?!?!

I dunno, I just felt like with all the talk of Hummers and Wieners, you’d want to be included! :grin:

1 Like

I don’t know but no pics of my Wiener or Hummer will be allowed, recorded or included.

Anywhere.

I mean it !

Is Anthony weiner a HO member?

Let’s hope not. I don’t want him posting no photos here of dirty water dogs. To quote Not JR, “Eeeuww !”

2 Likes

So anybody been to Bahr(f)s yet for the keg tap?

I heard they hired the old chef from the Hofbrauhaus in Atlantic Highlands.

He brought all his recipes, which were so good they brought the house down:

I mean how sour could the sauerbraten be?

What? Nobody remembers the ole Hofbrauhaus in AH ?

I certainly remember it since we went there with friends for Octoberfest a couple of times.

Did you like? I thought fair to average, but then I’m really picky about German food, since I used to live there.

Then (really) I’d love to know what you think of the food at the Biergarten/Festhalle in AP… my friend’s mom was born/raised in Germany and she’s a young 80-something; we keep talking about taking her there.

Meh. The food is Germanish, or let’s say German inspired. Not a big fan. A number of jazzy, but not authentic embellishments and and uneven focus on quality. Service sux big time, waiters and hostesses are terrible. And the clientele is a little rough and loud, so it is extremely noisy. When it’s busy you can’t converse without yelling.

The burger at APFH is good though.

And they do have a lot of different kinds of beer, again not all fresh.

The Monmouth singularity is in operation here:

Mediocre Food + Liquor License = “Successful” Restaurant

By the way, the closest thing to a proper restaurant for a German in that age group in our area is the Molly Pitcher.

Even a simple place in Germany for Sunday lunch would have table cloths, nice cutlery and hotel crystal with a modicum of service. The food would also almost always be local, would feature regional specialities, and, especially if it is family run, be freshly prepared. And it would not be noisy, even if there are families there.

It’s almost impossible to find that in Monmouth.

You know another place that is little close to that is San Remo. Of course if only the food and the service were consistent. And it is a little noisy.

By the way I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but I always mention the noise level when giving a review. It is an important part of a meal in Europe to be able to have a conversation without having to yell. It’s just civilized, and something that’s important to me when dining.

Between the canned blues or rock muzak, tile floors, no table cloths or curtains, screaming kids, and drunk patrons it is almost impossible to find a restaurant with acceptable noise levels any more in the US.

1 Like

Is there any German left in central nj?

I used to work at the h house when I was a kid. Man I hammered some food down at this place. What chef are you referring to viking?

You know I don’t think there is much German left in Central NJ.

Other than Schneider’s in Avon which is just kind of ok, there is not a lot around since Hofbrauhaus and Little Kraut closed down.

There are also some newer places in NYC like Cafe Katja, Blaue Gans, Zum Schneider and Hallo Berlin, which are kind of fun, and the Bohemian is still going strong in Astoria. I also think the Heidelberg is still left in Yorktown, but I haven’t been in ages.

All the Bahrs website says is that it was a former chef who brought the recipes, but there is no name given.

I should add that I really really like chef Walter Staib’s City Tavern in Philadelphia, but while he is German the food is not.

The turkey pot pie there is to die for. So good. The best pot pie you will ever have. He roasts whole turkeys to make it, and then uses a like a pint of cream and fresh veg in each one.

Isn’t there a good place on Staten Island?

Viking have you ever done the bear mountain octoberfest ferry trip? It’s not fine dining but I like it once year.

The Bear Mountain Oktoberfest has changed location, due to it’s popularity and the very large crowds. It is being held at the Anthony Wayne Recreation area now… think miles of parking lot, port o sans, and grass

The food which used to be surprisingly good isn’t any longer, I think they changed vendors.
We went the first year the location changed, IMO the event has lost all of its charm … no desire to ever go again :frowning:
photos below were taken at the new location, Found some stock photos of the original location that I posted below the first set to give people as sense of the dramatic change

ANTHONY WAYNE RECREATION AREA

ORIGINAL LOCATION …NEAR THE BEAR MOUNTAIN INN

1 Like