Bacon beyond the pale

I lunched at a Five Guys the other day, for the first time in a few years. I looked over the menu as I ate my burger and drank my flavored water. At the bottom of the milk shake mix-ins box, in small print (NOT small enough, if you ask me!) it read: “Add Bacon to Any Shake!” (their exclamation point, not mine). Here are mine: “NO THANKS!!!” I though the bacon craze had sputtered out. I love bacon, but contemplating it used thusly might just put me off it for good.

I think the bacon wave is still here. It has slowed down, but not died down.

1 Like

I guess its a gimmick but i kust don’t see how bacon improves a shake

1 Like

Yeah…wrong flavor aside, rust-colored gritty bits do not fall within my yum parameters.

2 Likes

You never know. I have to say I instinctively dislike the idea of bacon on everything, especially sweet foods. That is my gut feeling. On the other hand, I have had bacon brownies (Fette Sau in Philly) and bacon donuts (Beiler’s Donuts in Reading Terminal Market), and I don’t hate them. I don’t love them, but I don’t hate them.

So who knows, maybe bacon in a shake may work out.

1 Like

I saw this photo the other day.
Love bacon but not with sweet things. Sounds gross.

2 Likes

Last summer, I vacationed with some neighbors at their cabin.

One day the afternoon snack included; bacon slices with vanilla milk shakes. Instructions: dunk the bacon in the shake, eat.

I enjoyed it.

A 5 Guys is in the area. I wonder if they got the idea from 5 Guys?

1 Like

People generally seem to love breakfast pork with sweet things, and bacon is just the loudest example. If you can have bacon dunked in maple syrup with pancakes or french toast (which are essentially desserts if you think about it), then what’s wrong with having it in a shake, or any other sweet item?

1 Like

Just so we’re clear, there’s nothing wrong with having bacon with anything.

At anytime.

For any reason.

1 Like