Back to Fortina after a Long Absence, Armonk

You and I agree about a lot of places-- I’m surprised you didn’t like the food at Fortina. If you said it was the atmosphere or service I would understand that-- the music can get very loud, the lighting dark (they call it “sexy,” which is annoying), and the servers border on ditzy though they are well meaning. They are all talkative and friendly but there is a definite “have fun” attitude that most of the time is fun but can sometimes seem a bit forced.

However I personally cannot fault them on food at all other than the fact that prices have steadily climbed up to the point where some of the items are obnoxiously priced, like a simple salad for example for $14+ (though it can definitely feed a few people). Their wood fired vegetables are charred and caramelized in places and matched expertly with creative sauces, like the rainbow carrots with a walnut crema that we had the other night. To me their pizza crust is the best of its type (admittedly not my favorite style of pizza but their toppings make up for that). The crust is billowy and chewy at the end and nicely charred and as I said their toppings are creative. My two favorites are the rich and earthy Luigi Bianco and the Tenderoni which is sweet and salty at the same time. I also like their pasta as they cook it extremely al dente. I don’t eat much red sauce but I have found some of their red sauce pasta dishes to be heavy on the salt and I like salt. But I usually stick with the non-tomato options like the lemon sesame spaghetti with added crunchy texture from breadcrumbs, which I had the other night, and another favorite that we also had the other night is the whole wheat cavatelli with sausage and escarole that is very well balanced in texture and taste. They have one of my top five desserts of all time, which is their brown butter bread pudding with mascarpone on top that sits in a puddle of maple syrup.

I think their cocktails have improved since they first opened. Their beer list is obnoxiously priced so given the current quality of the cocktails there’s definitely more bang for your buck there. I had a specialty one with bourbon, peach, vanilla and lavender that was perfectly balanced and served beautifully with edible heart shaped flower petals. My husband’s with gin and grapefruit was also well balanced and refreshing.

They do go hard on style but there is substance in the food behind it-- in my opinion anyway. I love the Cookery as well but we just don’t get down there as often.

I know?
I went to Fortina in Rye Ridge.
The charred asparagus were just that, charred. No seasoning, over done and over charred, limp and tasteless. The asparagus I make at home are infinitely better. We ordered meatballs, these were good, but I remember asking for grated cheese to sprinkle on them and receiving a thimble sized serving, I ordered another “serving” of grated cheese, I was charged for both, I waited about 6 minutes for the cheese to arrive. We also ordered a pasta, baked ziti with ricotta I believe. I called the server over to ask where the ricotta was, she looked at the pasta and went to talk to a manager because she didn’t see ricotta either. A few minutes later she came back to let me know the ricotta was in the sauce, srsly… and oh that sauce, it reminded me of the sauce that was served in grammar school on Italian lunch day, it was so sweet it hurt my teeth, it also had no depth of flavor and was way too thick … just awful … lol never again!

Sounds terrible! I’ve never been to that location. If I had that experience I would not return either.

1 Like

I would have ordered differently if I had not been with DH, but they should not have messed up food that is so easily prepared.

1 Like

I’ve got to say,I just don’t “get” Fortina,although it is a fun place and could be good for an adult party- but it is seriously loud (which I don’t mind at times), but they tend to make the food too trendy /upscale,and to a large measure it is by price rather than actively improving on a dish. Ppl. were raving about their chicken parm, it was good but outrageously expensive,and while it was a large portion, the flavors were all about the sauce and cheese, the chicken was basically not noticeable. I like the pizza,but again,a very basic food made upscale partly by choice of ingredients but more so by price. Kind of like if it is priced high,it must be better.Charged for grated cheese? I would not go back and would avoid such a place!

Wow - I always ask for parm at Armonk and have never been charged for it. Maybe the location does make a difference!

I had an amazing early dinner here, my second in the last month, though this was with a group so it was more epic. Service was not great given the off time but no major complaints. We ordered a ton of appetizers-- their fried meatballs, creamy robiola arancini, garlic knots, chicken parm sliders, Bibb salad, and ricotta crostini. The pillowy garlic knots and three bite sliders were only $5 because of happy hour (every day from 4-6 at both the bar and tables) and completely a steal. Their usually ridiculous priced beer was only $5 and they also had some wine for $5. We also ordered my favorite pasta, the whole wheat cavatelli with sausage and greens, my favorite pizza (Luigi Bianco, of course), and the fusilli with smoked bacon and the Tenderoni pizza, both of which have some nice heat and plentiful pork product on top. I can’t complain about one single thing. They dealt with some dietary restrictions with a smile. Dessert was multiple bread puddings and we also split a cannoli with “Nutella surprise” (a big dollop of Nutella in the middle of the cannoli cream) which had seriously spectacular cannoli cream in the middle, something I usually don’t expect from a restaurant cannoli.

As I said we went early, 4, with an infant, who slept happily throughout the meal, and we were surrounded by many cheerful and loud families with kids. It’s amazing how versatile this place is-- a few hours later on a Saturday it is really clubby!

1 Like

Great review! Sounds like happy hour is where it’s at! :slight_smile:

Sounds like a good time to go. We haven’t been there in over a year since DH is on low carb and if he can’t have the pizza he’d rather not go and be tempted. I miss it!!

So, we went last night - we had not been in a year because DH is off carbs. But it was our anniversary and he decided it was a good night for pizza - and for me, any night is a good night for pizza! I will say they hire very personable people there and that is great. But the service was really off. First was the drinks. It took them a few tries to get the right drinks to the table. My husband’s margarita ( which he sent back because it was way too sweet) came with the beer for another table, instead of my wine. I had to ask several times for my wine. My husband’s drink finally came and it was still not great but he drank it - after all it was still tequila! We waited a very long time for the bone marrow app (which was excellent) and then the pizzas came before they took that away. DH’s pizza was missing the truffles. When they finally got them right, DH loved his but I did not like mine as much as I remembered. They don’t evenly distribute toppings - and I don’t need a ton of roasted garlic but I’d like a bit on each piece. But the crust is excellent - perfectly charred. Anyway, their customer service is not the same either. Back in the day this all would have been cause for at least a drink or dessert on the house. Nope. And it was our anniversary and they knew it and nothing. Major disappointment. :frowning:

We are going for lunch today since they have buy one get one half off pizza for Memorial day. I will say I think that they are too busy on Sat nights to really shine with customer service. If you made a reservation, which I’m assuming you did, they will probably text/call you regarding yourexperience so make sure you tell them you weren’t happy!

They sent a survey!!! Enjoy your Luigi!!!

1 Like

We have only ever eaten there at lunch — we had been warned off evenings by friends who complained of noise, confusion, etc. we also were there a couple of weeks ago after a pause of several months. While our experience wasn’t as bad as yours, it also struck us as not quite as good as in the past. It strikes me that one reason might be the founders/owners are more scattered among their now several locations. I think their presence made a difference.

Which is exactly what I was afraid of when they expanded.

We had a great lunch here today, no service hiccups so maybe lunch is the way to go. I did notice that there was only one server I recognized from past visits so maybe some of the more experienced folks have been recruited for other outposts. Who knows. Anyway the food was fabulous-- we shared a few apps and then split four pizzas. LB was perfection as usual and their crust just has no rival. The kids liked the plain cheese and the tenderoni and Bobby Lupo went over well with the spicy food lovers. Tartufo for dessert. No complaints other than the cost but that’s because we went a bit overboard (as usual when we are there).

Glad to hear it! Yes, their crust is the best!!

Speaking of crust (and yes it is very different),any word on when Colony is expected to open in Port Chester? Also off the subject anyone else tried the abeetz pizza truck?

1 Like

No info on Colony, but the Abeetz truck will be at the Burger & Beer Blast next Thursday. Can’t wait to try it then!

Man, I just never get tired of this place. We went with my almost one year old (sniff, sniff, where does the time go!?!?!) and it was her first time there when she got to really share all the delicious food with us and what a champion eater she was! We introduced her to some old favorites (their incomparable fried meatballs, bread pudding) and tried some new dishes (baked ziti, gnocchi). 5 pm is a good time to go with kids as they dominate the dining room at that time and it’s just loud enough for a baby with a very high pitched voice not to bother anyone, ha! All the servers doted on her and mom and dad enjoyed two of their delicious cocktails.

LOL - that’s what you think :laughing:

We also went back recently. It is a bit different but food was great and service was too. Some of the 'fun" vibe they used to have was missing and a waiter was telling us they think they have stretched themselves too thin. Honestly, I now prefer Locali - less noise and I just love the space. Although Locali does not have the roasted bone marrow. Oh, and the last time we went to Fortina we got dessert on the house - just because the server felt like it. Can’t beat that!