Authentic Asian Options - Monmouth/Middlesex ?

Toms River? Stay on the GSP, keep heading south till you hit the AC Expressway and try Little Saigon in Atlantic City. For Pho and more.

If that’s the place by the Asian supermarket and doors away from the Chinese restaurant then I say feh. The place is filthy and the bathrooms are disgusting.

Nah, I don’t think so Sollie. It’s in a residential neighborhood. And the last time I was there, didn’t see an Asian supermarket, but if you want some flowers, Chesters is across the street, or you can get your oil dropped across the street at the repair shop.

You care to try again there slappy? Better yet, go try that non descript pedestrian shithole of a restaurant in Toms River and do report back to us on the bathrooms. smfh

So I got confused with this place - I did eat in “your” - but wouldn’t rave about it

I know this post was a long time ago . . . any chance you’re still around? I’m visiting my parents in Bonita Springs - what’s the name of the Vietnamese restaurant? Any other must do recommendations?

Hey ycf, I know this is old but I was hoping you could give some Cantonese menu suggestions to try. The menu at these places are so enormous and I am always stumped when trying to figure something to order. What would you say are like the 5 most typical things people (or your family) get?

Only Asian restaurant I know in Bonita Springs is this place:

Is there a specific restaurant you plan on going? I was looking at my old post, some of the restaurants I haven’t been to in a long time. Like Oriental on Rt 9, they no longer serve dim sum, so it was once our go to after my kids go to Chinese school on Saturday lunchtime, now we just go to Sichuan Cottage instead.

In general for Cantonese family dinner for say like, 10 ppl, if the restaurant has a fish tank, we would do a whole steam fish… it could get a little pricey (and personally, i am not a big fan because there just isn’t a whole lot of meat on the fish)

A whole chicken is usually another staple - usually either go with poached Ginger and Scallion or Fried.

After that it really depends on what’s on the restaurant menu or what “specials” they have. For my family we would usually order some sort of pork dish like salt and pepper pork chop. Another seafood dish, maybe shrimp, clams, or those tiny snails in black bean sauce that you have to suck on.

And then round off with a tofu dish and a plain old stirred fried vegetable dish.

Some family like to do a fried rice or fried noodle at the end. We usually just eat white rice.

One thing i do look for in a Cantonese place is dishes they includes the dried salted fish, in cantonese, we literally just call it “Salty fish”.
Wikipedia would do a better job explaining what it is…(and apparently, it might cause cancer, anyway…)

It might be an acquired taste, some might even found the smell repulsive but I would look to get fried rice or tofu with that stuff on it.

2 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to give some recommendations! No specific restaurant in mind, as a matter of fact I kind of stopped going to Cantonese restaurants because the menus are just so vast and I have no idea what anything is. It’s really daunting when you’re clueless and want to try everything. :slight_smile:

I’ve had most of what you’ve described minus the steamed/fried chicken and the salty fish fried rice. I do love the ginger steamed fish, but as you mentioned they are $$$! Could you perhaps give me the names of the chicken dishes so I can find it on a menu and look up some pics? Also, as for tofu, I’m only familiar with mapo, what’s a common tofu dish to try?

We have similar salted fish in Korean food, I really enjoy it but we don’t use it in fried rice type dishes, I know I’ve seen that on menus so I’ll give it a try next time.

1 Like

Sorry for the belated reply…
Anyway, the only online i can locate is one with both Chinese and English from Sunny Palace:
https://www.sunnypalace.com/pdfs/menu.pdf
However, I can’t even remember when I ever eat dinner at Sunny Palace, the last dinner I remember is probably my own wedding banquet :joy:
So I can’t recommend Sunny Palace as place to eat but I can recommend just base on the name of dishes.
For soup #9, #10, #11
Cold appetizer: #36, #37, #38
Seafood: #56, #65
Casserole: #70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75
Vegetables: #125

Hope this helps.

1 Like