[Austin] Trip recommendations

Thanks for taking us along virtually on your eating adventures in Austin. Looks like you ate well! Such fun to follow along.

1 Like

Great photos and comments. Hurry back, y’all!

2 Likes

Also I forgot to mention, I was also chasing great queso, it probably was from San Antonio at La Gloriana’s. We hit up so many queso places, and everyone was slightly different. The tortillas were good to, my favorite again might be La Gloriana’s.

I would definitely go back for odd pop’s and tamales addiction as well. Was trying to catch them on a weekday but didn’t work out. Both of those were excellent.

2 Likes

Yes! 71 to I-10 is the way to go. 290 all the way is boring.

3 Likes

It is not necessarily the best queso, but the total experience of Bob Armstrong dip is wonderful. The supposedly original one is at Matt’s El Rancho, but many others offer riffs on it. I am a fan of a riff of queso with not two but three blobs atop it: guacamole, picadillo (or chorizo!), and pico de gallo.

2 Likes

Kilwin’s did have chocolate and hot fudge without stabilizers, gums, and preservatives!

Will try next time in Texas

2 Likes

Sorry for the delay:

5 Likes

Wow you held on to that a while. No separate checks in a college town?? But enchies for $3.50 :+1:

Yeah but we didn’t have credit cards. Errybody threw in their cash.

Edited to add: I also have other menus from that era, Hole in the Wall, Conan’s Pizza, and Mad Dog and Beans.

I’ve always loved to eat - been doing it my whole life. :smiley:

2 Likes

Me too. I used to drive from College Station to Austin just to eat Conan’s Pizza. :joy: and quaff beer at Schultz’s of course.

1 Like

Scholz Garten

It’s a madhouse before football games. We used to park in the state garage next door and hang out before and after the games.

Here is the Conan menu circa 1978 or '79.

4 Likes

You only get one check, but it’s a pay as you leave place, and the cashier, usually the owner, will split it at the register. It works smoothly. You just say what you had. The checkout line rarely gets long.

1 Like

Wow those Conan prices! :exploding_head:

1 Like

Conan and Dominoes were about our only delivery options on Sunday nights when the dorm cafeterias were closed. Four of us would split a Savage. Those were the days.

As an aside, when I say “cafeterias” plural, my dorm had two of them. They were on different floors and had slightly different menus. The dorm also had two zip codes and its own voting precinct. Seriously. I lived on the 14th floor or as we called it, “The Penthouse”. It wasn’t as cool as it sounds as it was the only floor in the building that was NOT coed. Figures, right?

1 Like

Sounds like the massive Jester Hall. That place was scary big. I stayed with a friend in a tower dorm, I can’t remember the name but it was nice.

1 Like