[Austin] Trip recommendations

I love real Texas chili, but their vegetarian multi-bean chili makes the best Frito pie I ever ate. They also do amazing enchiladas.

3 Likes

Clay pot (unfortunately was a bust)
Super packed, a cook quit, hostesses super nice and accommodating

Also tried to hit up cafe Mozart (closes midnight), which had live music and poetry until 12. (Because wanted to catch the sunset.

Just a general rule of thumb almost everything in Austin closes at 9pm.

3 Likes

We tried to actually dine in and eat at clay pit (error initially) but it was very busy and the waiter didn’t make eye contact with us for the 15 minutes we were sitting there, so then we took out to watch the sunset. It took about 45 minutes for us to get our order.

If you want Indian food AND a very Austin experience, try the Whip In.

2 Likes

What’s the sushi looking thing next to the fries in the second picture?

Have you been down to the Congress Street Bridge at sunset?

You don’t often get the chance to see one and half million of anything all in one place.

:bat::bat::bat::bat::bat::bat::bat::bat::bat::bat::bat::bat::bat::bat::bat:

3 Likes

Will be doing that today, on a platoon boat, can’t wait!

I realize I spelled it incorrectly (autocorrect) in the post above, but it’s the ume shiso onigiri (pickled plum with sushi rice and seaweed)

1 Like

8 Likes

Filipino food

secondary to dietary restrictions I didn’t eat the food, but it was something we hit up. I ate a veggie lumpia Shanghai and hard boiled egg

4 Likes

Lorraine Bakery in the Domain

2 Likes

Best thing was definitely the raspberry danish

(Unfortunately a lot of things had gelatin, alcohol, or food color. The staff was super accommodating to let me know what was what, and ordered everything I could eat besides macaroons)

4 Likes

Only like 5 bags came out

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendation, old school Austin food is excellent.

Texas chili parlor had excellent service.

6 Likes

(post deleted by author)

4 Likes

Assuming that’s “bats”, that’s strange. You said you were going to be on a platoon (pontoon?) boat, so did the captain have any comment? I know they migrate, but based on the mosquito population in Houston, they should be back by now.

It’s been a few years since I’ve done it, but we saw a steady stream for almost an hour. It’s pretty awesome.

1 Like

It may be getting to the part of the season when they stop flying and stay in to nurse their young.

1 Like

Their service is excellent. I especially like the guy with the long, reddish pony tail who wears black jeans and for some inexplicable reason always has one leg of his pants pulled up high. He always keeps my Arnold Palmers topped up.

1 Like

Pontoon, sorry not reading what I am writing and it autocorrects. Captain said they will come out slowly, and not as a mass. Seemed like they weren’t hungry.

2 Likes