Austin: good ciabatta

I’m not really a bread person but I had this awesome ciabatta bread in Portland from this health food grocery store called New Seasons. The bread was a bit stretchy and had a lot of holes inside because of the fermentation process and the crust was firm but chewy. I tried Whole Foods’ ciabatta and it was not like that at all. It was denser and more like “regular” bread. Does anyone have a rec for a source for good ciabatta bread?

How about Central Market?

I can’t say I’ve tried their ciabatta, but I’ve tried many of their breads and found most of them good or better. You might also just describe the bread to one of their bakers and maybe they will have something other than ciabatta that’s closer to what you’re looking for texture-wise.

If you DO find some awesome small batch bread at some artisan baker hidden behind the Pizza Hut, you WILL let us know, right?

:bread:

I don’t go to Whole Foods, but my mother loved their Ciabatta, so I bought some and sliced it and broiled it with butter and garlic and it was terrific. I’m not sure what you are describing here. Truth be told, Whole Foods is just not a place I ever visited after the first three times.

Doesn’t Jack in the Box have a Ciabatta burger?

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

I tried the Whole Foods one and it sucked compared to the one in Portland. :frowning: I was hoping to get an answer on here so I didn’t have to slowly work my way through all possible ciabattas in the metro area.

The one in New Seasons looked kind of like this.

But the one in Whole foods was dense and looked a lot more like plain bread to me.

1 Like

Well that looks amazing.

1 Like

I’d try Sour Duck Market, Easy Tiger, Texas French Bread - in that order. Not a huge bread person here either, but I am a huge fan of Sour Duck Market and I drop by there multiple times a month.

OK, thanks.

I tried Central Market’s ciabatta. It looked less dense and it had the fermentation sponge holes but the overall texture was a bit dry and too flake and airy, no stretch or chewiness to the inner dough.