[Aurangabad, India] Dinner at Riwazz, Fern Residence

We visited the historic city of Aurangabad (about 200 miles north-east of MumbaI) to see its UNESCO World Heritage sites, including the Ajanta Cave temples which dated back to the 2nd-century BC.

After spending most of the day trekking through the hills and gorges to cover many of the 31 cave temples, we decided to dine-in at our hotel’s main restaurant this evening.

1. Tibetan-style momo dumplings with minced chicken stuffing - served with a piquant tomato-dried chili-garlic dipping sauce. Fab version served here.

1. Marathwada chicken curry - a village-style Maharashtrian chicken curry, fairly liquid, but very well-spiced and tasty.

2. Vangyachi bhaji - local baby aubergines cooked in a black masala, tamarind and jaggery gravy, thickened with peanut powder.

3. Vegetarian pulao - gently-spiced rice cooked with cauliflower, carrot & string beans.

The restaurant’s cooking was much, much better than we’d expected as it was a random choice on our part. Best meal on our trip so far.

We are spending today exploring the Ellora Caves and other sights around Aurangabad before we go off to Kochi, Kerala.

Address
Riwazz
The Fern Residency Aurangabad
Jalgaon Rd, Sector C/3, Town Centre, Town Center, Cidco, Aurangabad, Maharashtra 431003
Tel: +9198500 08222
Operating hours: 7pm till late (dinner).

11 Likes

What a treat to see Ajanta and Ellora. I went on a school trip in 7th grade and have been meaning to return ever since. Still deeply etched into my memory as one of my best experiences.

1 Like

What a fabulous place to visit, Peter.

Food looks good. I’ve had the aubergine dish before - or, at least, a very similar sounding dish which the restaurant calls bharli vangi. Love the peanuts and the contrast between the tamarind and jaggery

2 Likes