August Harvest- Hatch Chiles and NJ Tomatoes

This is my favorite time of year as two of my favorite foods (one in my avatar) are in season at the same time. Hatch Green Chile from New Mexico, and the myriad of varieties of NJ Tomatoes.

Having lived in Colorado for a number of years, I was always drawn to the aroma of chile roasting in giant roadside drums. Of course, the peeling (the messy part) was left to you. But, oh so worth it. Delicious in many different recipes, but mainly known in Colorado as a sauce. Similar to Anaheims, there are different varieties ranging from mild to super-hot.
Since I have been back in NJ past 8 years, I have always sought out this delicious chile. Usually I had to drive out to Flemington or Clinton Shoprite, but past couple of years it has been available in West Long Branch. I saw my first batch at Shoprite in Hackettstown earlier this week. Now the hunt is on locally or I will get some next week.
These freeze beautifully, after roasting and peeling, in containers or plastic bags to portion. Do Not Miss if you like Chile.

Do you know about the Great Tomato tasting? Every year I intend to go, but it has never worked out. This year it is on August 28, and once again I will try to make it there. If you are in Central Jersey, or anywhere close, and love tomatoes, this is the place To check out. Also includes other tastings like honey and blueberries and exhibits.

https://snyderfarm.rutgers.edu/tomato-tasting/

2 Likes

Wow, thanks for the heads up about the tomato tasting event. I will see if my parents are interested in going. This is right up their alley.

1 Like

Some local Hatch Chile happenings. Tomatoes here need no compass.

Frieda’s Hatch Chile found at Trader Joe’s in Shrewsbury.

20210814_134628

Shoprite has some local Hatch Chile Roasts. Call to confirm but have gotten these in the past, fresh and roasted. September dates for me.

Screenshot_20210815-185403_Chrome

Picked these up at AH Farmers Market Thursday. Potatoes were excellent.

3 Likes

When I was a kid (a loooong time ago) my aunt and uncle leased much of their farm property (in Clarksburg, near Freehold) to a farmer who grew Jersey beefsteaks. We’d just walk out into the fields and eat them like apples off trees. I still remember how good they were.

1 Like

Never liked raw tomatoes growing up in NJ. Was working as a waiter in Denver and they had a Heirloom Tomato festival every year. I was hooked.
My most favorite shift was a Monday lunch. We tasted all of the tomato specials and also the specials for the week. This was after an impromptu wine tasting behind the bar. I then was told I was not needed and went home with a full belly and drifting thoughts. That was a good day.

2 Likes

Get some Hatch to freeze or use to make some Green Chile sauce to smother your breakfast burrito, I like mine with gyros.

This event is sold out it seems but posting for next year.
Snyder Farm Tomato Tasting 2022

Hatch Chile NJ Roasting 2022

2 Likes

Hatch is at Shop Rite. Picked these up in Parsippany today. Next week Flemington and Morristown/Cedar Knolls are roasting on Saturday. Buy a box and they will roast for you or you can buy roasted or raw. Oh yeah.

5 Likes