August 2022 Openings and Closings [Boston, New England]

What’s the news?

2 Likes

The former owners of the ill-fated A Lee 88 in Waltham, Tao and Szu, are opening Little Tao at 1153 Commonwealth Ave, Boston. Opening today. I can’t link to the menu but this should get you there. Click on the See Photos, and the menu is there.

4 Likes

That’s great news.

Bumped into Garret Harker at Branch Line recently and he mentioned he is working on a return to the Fenway area, opening mid-late 2023, sounds like early stages. Don’t know if it will be a reincarnation of Eastern Standard, but should be destination worthy.

4 Likes

Does that mean that Taste of Guizhu is gone, or are they sharing the space? That’s the former Wing-It location, and it seemed sort of co-occupied by Wing-It and ToG at one point.

Little Tao’s website is now live https://mylittletao.com/

4 Likes

Nice little website, and I personally love to see the info on the chef - such a rarity for Chinese restaurants. I definitely appreciate a smaller focused menu, especially for regional cuisines where there may be broader interest in a smaller niche set of foods (no one needs the umpteenth iteration of beef and broccoli). I really wish we had more places like Japan where folks are more comfortable opening specialty food places in smaller spaces so they can just focus on a few things done very well.

2 Likes

Not seeing any of the dumplings that we loved.

Rubato, in North Quincy, is supposed to have its grand opening this Saturday.

Our Menu — Rubato (rubato-food.com)
There was a quick write up about the planned opening on boston.com about a month or so ago, and there’s a follow up today (courtesy MSN) in The Boston Globe.
In Quincy, a rock star mom’s restaurant becomes her son’s classic Hong Kong café (msn.com)

This is taking over the old Contempo Bakery space at 412 Hancock St.

2 Likes
Help cover Hungry Onion's costs when you shop at Amazon!

Sunday market in Ubud, Indonesia
Credit: Roozbeh Rokni, Flickr