August 2020 Openings and Closings [Boston and New England]

I figure we might as well keep punching with new threads for this topic, even though the landscape is still kind of bizarre. And bleak. But if you have intel on cool openings or things that are folding up shop, here’s the place to let us all know.

3 Likes

Just saw on my Davis Square FB group that Somerville’s Slumbrew has gone out of business.

3 Likes

Area 4 cafe in Kendall Sq. has reopened for takeout. Online ordering only, no cash. Now I can get my breakfast sandwich on house-made English with extra cheese, caramelized onions and hot peppers again! And, although I don’t have a big sweet tooth, I do love their raspberry cheese danish. Closed Sundays.

Donuts with a Difference in Medford center said they were reopening a couple of days ago, Wed.-Sun.

3 Likes

Ivory Pearl in Brookline(Washington Square) has opened. Cocktails and seafood emporium from the owner of The Blossom Bar at Sichuan Garden. This is the former Grassona’s space, next door to the always crowded , Barcelona Restaurant.

4 Likes

oh, this is good news. thanks!

2 Likes

The Frogmore in JP is closing on Friday

2 Likes

not sure just how long they’ve been re-opened, but I got news that Tipping Cow ice cream in Medford is back. From the website it looks like they’re there Thu-Sun.

Good ice cream, nice people. I’ll stop by again soon.

2 Likes

Not a closing, but Bartley’s is for sale. They are temporarily closed for now and were planning on reopening in September.

2 Likes

Gosh, I hope that Bartley’s finds a buyer who will continue the tradition. I loved that place when I was in college (long ago!). We thought it was a quirky and fun place to grab a bite.

2 Likes

From an article I just read in the Globe it sounds like he definitely wants someone who will continue the tradition (“there won’t be any conversation with anyone who doesn’t want it to be Bartley’s“) and perhaps make some improvements to the space and service (add alcohol). I like it it as is, but alas all things change.

I did not read closely but it said the price was $475k for the “property”. However, I believe Harvard is the landlord.

1 Like

Bartley’s needs bathrooms, even if they don’t get an alcohol license.

An article from the Harvard Crimson in Feb. 2019; yes, Harvard University owns the building.

1 Like

Stellina in Watertown is closing end of next week (it’s close to our house and not a great loss to be honest based on three visits but many people seem to think differently about Stellina - but there is obviously also the implications of such a closing beyond just the food for employees, owners etc)

4 Likes

Just read on Boston.com that Taranta in the North End will be closing. :cold_sweat: I liked their Peruvian food and it was a nice alternative to the places that just focus on the chicken. I haven’t been to his other restaurants; hope they keep the spirit alive at those other locations.

4 Likes

Sad about the impending closure of Taranta. It stood out admirably among restaurants in the North End. I still remember a delicious main course of quinotto—before quinoa was trendy—that introduced me to the idea that other grains could be cooked risotto style.

While thIs closure will be a loss, I popped over to Taranta’s website to see that they’re determined to carry on in some form. Excerpt:

“We thank everyone for their continuing support and hope to see you when we come back and reopen somewhere else within a year or so. We are working on developing our partnership with the Santa Cruz Lodge in Peru to offer Gastronomic Adventures. In the meantime you could visit our new Restaurant ~Tambo 22 in Chelsea and Trattoria San Pietroin Norwell.“

4 Likes

Thanks so much. Yes, sad, but we’ll be checking out Tambo 22 in Chelsea…that part is great news.

1 Like

Trattoria San Pietro is always a good bet. One of the best Italian restaurants on the South Shore. Menu with lots of good choices with home made pasta and a decent wine list. Very good seafood preps. Hope to be getting back there soon. One of our Family favorites. We are doing only take-out right now.
Enjoy,
CocoDan

2 Likes

great news! West Springfield classic White Hut reopens tomorrow.

3 Likes