Asparagus Season Approaches

1 Like
1 Like

We’re in the middle of asparagus season herein NJ where we grow tons of it. We mostly give it a quick marinade in garlic & olive oil ,& a little salt & pepper. Then into the George Foreman for 6-8 minutes.

Also- pickled asparagus. Mmmmmmmmm… We make lots of it.

3 Likes

Care to share your recipe for pickled asparagus? We’re finally starting to grow enough of it to start pickling some of the excess.

2 Likes
2 Likes

I have no idea how they do it, but HEB manages to have good asparagus all the time. Not as good as we got in Oregon, but it is still good. A favorite summer meal is grilled lamb chops, broiled tomatoes, and lightly steamed asparagus. Always get extra tomatoes and asparagus for sliced tomatoes, cold asparagus, thinly sliced sweet onion, a bright vinaigrette (peanut oil, white wine vinegar, and Dijon), and a sprinkling of crunchy grey salt. That salad, street corn, and crab cakes is another wonder of summer.

3 Likes

I’ve been drooling over that photo in the New York Times. I love parmesan pain perdu, and its the perfect match to eggs and asparagus. I had already bookmarked that for a breakfast later this week.

2 Likes

Local asparagus looked good at the farmstand today, so I impulse bought.

I ended up putting the blanched tips into a stir fry with Chinese pork, scallions and Hakka noodles.

Anyone read David Lebovitz’s funny write-up about white asparagus?

No. Would you mind sharing a link?

I’ll ask Wahine, as I’m not much of a fan of blogs, even David’s. I was able to find some DL remarks that indicate he isn’t wowed by the white version (he hates peeling, can be bitter, doesn’t keep, etc.). The anecdote that I referred to is DL recounting a mutual American friend’s recent insistence that they find and prepare white in Paris. David’s take was basically that it was a waste of time.

1 Like

More for the rest of us :partying_face:

2 Likes

Found this at a second hand shop:

1 Like

Diplomatic. :+1: I wouldn’t be. (He’s) a waste of my time.

Purple asparagus made a showing in our grocer’s last week at $3.98/lb in 2# bundles. Ayiyiyi that’s pricey! Yesterday it was down to $1.98/lb and I bought a 1 pound bundle. I’ll see how it turns out, roasted with a leg of lamb, with tonight’s din din. I think Mike Colemeco had aposted a spot on it recently. Some of my home grown came in purple one time, don’t know what that was about.

1 Like

(BigG from Chowhound) Well the asparagus is just about done by me (WI), I don’t have a patch, but the ditch between my house and the neighbor’s is about 500 yards long and feeds some 20 families with the good stuff. Froze some for winter and ate myself full of asparagus. Great while it lasted.

3 Likes

I wait for the day when we’re able to harvest more than we can eat. I would love to put some by for the off-season! We’re close - maybe next year.

In the meantime, still picking late-season stragglers.

1 Like